Anna University Computer Application in Textile Technology Question Paper
ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION PAPER
B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION
IV Semester Textile Technology
COMPUTER APPLICATION IN TEXTILE TECHNOLOGY
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
Answer ALL questions.
1. Describe how numeric data and string data is stored in a computer’s RAM.
2. List the names of the high level programming language you know of.
3. What was the first aspect of the textile production process to be automated and why was it the first?
4. Describe how numeric data and string data is stored in a computer’s RAM.
5. With a block diagram name the parts of a computer and briefly state the purpose of each.
6. State ‘‘Moor’s law’’ and describe its effect on the textile industry.
7. Briefly describe the principle of operation of any one of the different types of ‘‘pressure sensors’’ available.
8. What is a ‘‘LVDT’’? Briefly state its mode of working.
9. Briefly describe the purpose of the A to D and D to A functions in the automation process.
10. Name the textile testers that can be directly linked into a computer network.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
Answer ALL questions.
11. Why are ‘‘Online Testing’’ methods being developed? Compare and contrast ‘‘Online Testing’’ with conventional Testing, as used in textile processing.
12. (a) Describe what PERT and CPM do. Discuss the areas of application of PERT and CPM in the textile industry.
(b) Write short notes on :
(i) Computerised Cotton mixing
(ii) The use of Fuzzy logic for control
(iii) The Uster HVI tester.
13. (a) Describe how computer matching is done for dyed fabrics and discuss the advantages and limitations of this technique.
(b) Describe how computer aided design (CAD) might be used in a garment production unit.
14. (a) Describe the ‘‘Management Information System’’ you would want if you were in charge of a textile mill. Discuss the advantages of such systems over existing systems.
(b) Discuss the applications of computers to the ‘‘Front Office’’ of a textile mill, describing which tasks were automated first and why.
15. (a) Discuss the evolution of computer CPU’s and describe the effect of this increase in hardware capacity on software development.
(b) Discuss what is meant by the terms :
(i) Neural networks
(ii) Formal methods of specification and
(iii) Logic Programming.