ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS QUESTION PAPERS
B.E. DEGREE EXAMINATION.
II Semester Marine Engineering
BASIC MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
1. What are the alternative sources of energy?
2. Differentiate between Cochran and Lamont Boilers.
3. What is the function of a carburetor?
4. What are the different methods of Lubrication employed in I.C. Engines?
5. What are the parts of a simple vapour compression refrigeration system?
6. Define air–conditioning.
7. Mention the different types of cold working processes.
8. What is Brazing?
9. Differentiate between a shaper and planer.
10. Define CAD.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
11. Draw a neat sketch and explain the principal parts of a horizontal milling machine.
12. (a) Draw the layout of a Thermal power plant and explain the working of its different circuits.
(b) With a neat sketch explain the working of Benson boiler.
13. (a) Compare and contrast four stroke cycle engines with two stroke cycle engines.
(b) With the help of a neat sketch explain the working of any one type of ignition systems of petrol engine.
14. (a) With a neat sketch explain the working of vapour absorption refrigeration system.
(b) Explain the thermoelectric cooling and enumerate its advantages.
15. (a) With a neat sketch explain the principle of Rolling and extrusion process.
(b) Explain the principle of gas welding with the help of a neat sketch, and state its advantages also.