The main features of the book are as follows:
1. The book takes full advantage of the clarity and consistency of modern terminology.
2. The development is logical, and the preparation of each new idea is based on the preceding
3. The clearly developed textual explanations are followed by appropriate solved examples.
4. The mathematical language is kept precise and correct.
5. A variety of Enrichment Material has been provided at the end of most of the chapters.
6. Historical Notes have been interspersed throughout the text.
7. The occasional section ‘Just for Fun’ provides a lighter touch.
8. The book reflects the authors' conviction that one learns mathematics by doing mathematics and that a proper balance between theory and practice is essential for genuine understanding.
9. The book uses S.I. Units.
10. Great pains have been taken to present the subject matter in a very easy to understand and easily comprehensible manner. To achieve this, we had sometimes to sacrifice brevity and give detailed explanations to bring home to the students the finest aspects of every topic.
11. The treatment of ‘Statistics’ is very exhaustive and correct as it should be.
12. All methods have been copiously illustrated by the solved examples and all questions in the Exercises have been carefully graded.
13. Summary of Key Facts, given under the heading ‘Looking Back’ have been given to facilitate quick revision and assimilation of the concepts learnt in the chapters.