| About The Book Manufacturing Processes
The revised and updated second edition of this book gives an in-depth presentation of the basic principles and operational procedures of general manufacturing processes. It aims at assisting the students in developing an understanding of the important and often complex interrelationship among various technical and economical factors involved in manufacturing.
The book begins with a discussion on material properties while laying emphasis on the influence of materials and processing parameters in understanding manufacturing processes and operations. This is followed by a detailed description of various manufacturing processes commonly used in the industry. With several revisions and the addition of four new chapters, the new edition also includes a detailed discussion on mechanics of metal cutting, features and working of machine tools, design of molds and gating systems for proper filling and cooling of castings. Besides, the new edition provides the basics of solid-state welding processes, weldability, heat in welding, residual stresses and testing of weldments and also of non-conventional machining methods, automation and transfer machining, machining centres, robotics, manufacturing of gears, threads and jigs and fixtures.
The book is intended for undergraduate students of mechanical engineering, production engineering and industrial engineering. The diploma students and those preparing for AMIE, Indian Engineering Services and other competitive examinations will also find the book highly useful.
New to This Edition :
Includes four new chapters Non-conventional Machining Methods; Automation: Transfer Machining, Machining Centres and Robotics; Manufacturing Gears and Threads; and Jigs and Fixtures to meet the course requirements.
Offers a good number of worked-out examples to help the students in mastering the concepts of the various manufacturing processes.
Provides objective-type questions drawn from various competitive examinations such as Indian Engineering Services and GATE.
Table of Contents:
1. Manufacturing: Principles and Processes
2. Materials: Structures and Properties
3. Ferrous Metals: Irons and Steels
4. Non-ferrous Metals and Other Materials
5. Foundry Processes: Molding and Casting
6. Metal Machining: Processes and Machine Tools
7. Electric and Gas Welding Processes
8. Soldering and Brazing
9. Metal Forming: Hot- and Cold-working and Press-working
10. Metal Forging: Smithying and Power Forging
11. Powder Metallurgy Processes
12. Plastics: Manufacturing and Applications
13. Non-conventional Machining Methods
14. Automation: Transfer Machining, Machining Centres and Robotics
15. Manufacturing Gears and Threads
16. Jigs and Fixtures
17. Metal Joining Processes: Adhesive Bonding and Mechanical Fastening
18. Protective Surface Treatments: Cleaning and Coatings
19. Bench Working: Fitting and Traditional Sheet Metal Working