About The Book Globalization In India
Since the last decade of twentieth century, India has strived for an experienced and unprecedented economic turn-around. The country has witnessed a structural shift in GDP growth, propelled largely by new investments and the growth of the value enhancing services sector. Globally, these efforts are not only source of appreciation but also of assumption for many that India increasingly being seen as part of new axis of influence in the world. Long established three-headed social problempovertyilliteracyunemploymentremains the biggest stumbling block for a post-colonial country like India. New sets of problems have taken shape in the last quarter of twentieth century when policy makers and market participants have prioritized economic activities for short-term gains.
In context of the above, Center of Associates for Sociological Studies and Action undertook to bring out to the fore oft-neglected inter-disciplinary discussions and analysis in fifteen articles to examine the process of globalization in India taking insights from economics, political science and international relations, sociology, cultural anthropology, social ecology, management and cultural studies. It discusses the impact of the process of globalization on social institutions like marriage, family, economy, politics, education and religion.
The book is intended for postgraduate students and research scholars. It provides readers with a clear perspective about creating economics, environmental and social capital that can produce multiplier effect for making national progress more inclusive and sustainable.
Table of Contents:
1. Economic Globalization: Understanding the Process Beyond the Polemics, Sangeeta Mahapatra
2. Globalization and Sustainable Development: Contextualizing a Sociological Discourse, R.N. Mohanty
3. Globalization, Crony Capitalism and the Indian Context of SEZ,
4. Impact of Globalization on the Food Consumption of Urban India, Swarna Sadasivam Vepa
5. The Impact of Economic Liberalization on Employment and Wages in India, Sonia Bhalotra
6. Global Forces of Change and Innovation: Issues of Organizational Stress, Sudeshna Basu Mukherjee and Anjali Ray
7. How to Govern Corporate Houses? Significance of Industrial Democracy and Social Unionism in the Context of Globalization, Biswajit Ghosh
8. Globalization and Neo-liberal Economic Reforms in India:
A Critical Review, Kalim Siddiqui
9. The IndoUS Nuclear Deal in an
Era of Globalization,
10. Falling in Love in Mumbai: Professional Women and Companionate Marriage,
11. Changing Urban Landscape: A Socio-Semiotic Profile of a Shopping Mall in Kolkata, Amit Sanyal
12. The Water Privatization Process, Global Politics and Ecological Struggles in India, Vandana Asthana
13. Beyond Globalization: A Cultural Study [A New CMIE Matrix],
14. Hindi Popular Cinema: Negotiating the Global and the Nation,
Samarpita Ghosh Ray
15. Globalization and Terrorism,