| About The Book Ironmaking And Steelmaking
This authoritative account covers the entire spectrum from iron ore to finished steel. It begins by tracing the history of iron and steel production, right from the earlier days to todays world of oxygen steelmaking, electric steelmaking, secondary steelmaking and continuous casting.
The physicochemical fundamental concepts of chemical equilibrium, activity-composition relationships, and structure-properties of molten metals are introduced before going into details of transport phenomena, i.e. kinetics, mixing and mass transfer in ironmaking and steelmaking pro-cesses. Particular emphasis is laid on the understanding of the fundamental principles of the processes and their application to the optimisation of actual processes.
Modern developments in blast furnaces, including modelling and process control are discussed along with an introduction to the alternative methods of ironmaking. In the area of steelmaking, BOF plant practice including pre-treatment of hot metal, metallurgical features of oxygen steelmaking processes, and their control form part of the book. It also covers basic open hearth, electric arc furnace and stainless steelmaking, before discussing the area of casting of liquid steelingot casting, continuous casting and near net shape casting. The book concludes with a chapter on the status of the ironmaking and steelmaking in India.
In line with the application of theoretical principles, several worked-out examples dealing with fundamental principles as applied to actual plant situations are presented.
The book is primarily intended for undergraduate and postgraduate students of metallurgical engineering. It would also be immensely useful to researchers in the area of iron and steel.
Table of Contents:
Part A: GENERAL
2. Overview of Blast Furnace Ironmaking
3. Overview of Modern Steelmaking
4. General Physicochemical Fundamentals
Part B: BLAST FURNACE IRONMAKING
5. Physical Chemistry of Blast Furnace Reactions
6. Thermal and Chemical Features of the Blast Furnace
7. Internal Zones and Gas Flow in Blast Furnaces
8. Raw Materials I: Coke
9. Raw Materials II: Iron Ore and Agglomerates
10. Blast Furnace Productivity, Fuel Efficiency and Modern Developments
11. Blast Furnace Products and Their Utilisation
12. Blast Furnace Modelling and Control
Part C: ALTERNATIVE IRONMAKING
13. Sponge Ironmaking
14. Smelting Reduction
Part D: STEELMAKING
15. Physical Chemistry of Primary Steelmaking
16. BOF Plant Practice
17. Metallurgical Features of Oxygen Steelmaking
18. Process Control for Basic Oxygen Steelmaking
19. Basic Open Hearth and Electric Arc Furnace Steelmaking
20. Secondary Steelmaking
21. Stainless Steelmaking
Part E: CASTING OF LIQUID STEEL
22. Ingot Casting of Steel
23. Continuous Casting of Steel
Part F: MISCELLANEOUS
24. Ironmaking and Steelmaking in India
Appendices I and II