| About The Book Heat Treatment
The study of heat treatment has assumed great significance because of the vital role heat treatment plays in achieving the designed characteristics in a given material. This comprehensive and well-organized text skillfully blends the theoretical and practical aspects of heat treatment. It discusses, in rich detail, about heat treatment of commercial steels, cast irons and non-ferrous metals and alloys. The book also offers an in-depth analysis of topics such as nature of metals and alloys; principles of heat treatment of steels; heat treatment processes; possible defects, causes and remedies in heat treatment; and inspection and quality control in heat treatment.
This second edition of the successful text has gone through considerable modification on the basis of responses received. Additional figures have been added for greater clarity and understanding. Multiple choice questions and other pedagogically arranged questions help students to assess their subject knowledge.
Designed primarily as a text for undergraduate and postgraduate students of Metallurgy, the book is also useful for undergraduate students of mechanical, production, and chemical engineering. Besides, it meets the requirements of students of AMIE/AMIIM, and of diploma level courses in metallurgical and mechanical engineering. Furthermore, the book can serve as an invaluable reference for practising engineers.
Table of Contents:
Preface to the First Edition
Preface to the Second Edition
2. NATURE OF METALS AND ALLOYS
3. IRON-CEMENTITE PHASE DIAGRAM
4. PRINCIPLES OF HEAT TREATMENT OF STEELS
5. HEAT TREATMENT PROCESSES
8. CHEMICAL HEAT TREATMENT OF STEELS
9. SURFACE HARDENING
10. THERMOMECHANICAL TREATMENT
11. HEAT TREATMENT FURNACES AND ATMOSPHERES
12. TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT AND CONTROL
13. POSSIBLE DEFECTS, CAUSES AND REMEDIES IN HEAT TREATMENT
14. HEAT TREATMENT OF COMMERCIAL STEELS
15. CAST IRONS AND THEIR HEAT TREATMENT
16. HEAT TREATMENT OF NON-FERROUS METALS AND ALLOYS
17. INSPECTION AND QUALITY CONTROL IN HEAT TREATMENT
18. MATERIALS TESTING
19. ENERGY ECONOMY IN HEAT TREATMENT
Appendices Bibliography Index