| About The Book Fundamentals Of Plant Pathology
This book is based on the syllabus prescribed by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, for the first and second year undergraduate students of plant pathology in State Agricultural and Horticultural Universities and hence, is of special importance to these students.
The text, conveniently divided into 13 chapters, deals with fundamental aspects of plant pathology viz., scope and objectives, importance of plant diseases, history and development of plant pathology, theory of plant diseases, causes of plant diseases (biotic, abiotic and plant viruses with representative examples) symptoms, general characteristics of plant pathogens, classification of phytopathogens, growth and reproduction of plant pathogens including replication of plant viruses, liberation or dispersal of plant pathogens, their survival and types of parasitism and variability in plant pathogens. At the end of each chapter, important questions have been provided for the benefit of the students. Diagrams, convincing tables and suitable graphs/illustrations are furnished at appropriate places. A complete bibliography and apt subject index are appended at the end.
Besides undergraduate students, this book will also serve as a basic guide to meet the requirement of teachers/researchers in plant pathology and related fields.
Table of Contents:
Foreword Preface Acknowledgements
2. Scope and Objectives of Plant Pathology
3. Importance of Plant Diseases
4. History and Development of Plant Pathology
5. Definition and Concept of Plant Diseases
6. Causes of Plant Diseases
7. Symptoms of Plant Diseases
8. General Characteristics of Plant Pathogens
9. Classification of Plant Pathogens
10. Growth and Reproduction of Plant Pathogens and Replication of Plant Viruses
11. Infection Process and Survival of Plant Pathogens
12. Dispersal of Plant Pathogens
13. Parasitism and Variability in Plant Pathogens
Glossary Bibliography Index