The purpose of the present book is to provide fundamental knowledge of experimental pharmacology. Fundamental principles of pharmacology deal with animal experimentation and interpretation of results. Topics covered in this book have been designed for fifth semester pharmacology practical as per the new PCI syllabus. In this book sincere efforts have been made to include the relevant information as much as possible, so that students could find some of the useful aspects which will help to translate theory into practice.
A concept is more readily appreciated and understood when exemplified by simple figure or a table. In order to illustrate the text, the figures and tables are used in all the chapters. Some of the suitable figures are directly collected from the internet or from the renowned text books to simplify the text described in different chapters.
This book Useful for B.Pharma Students.
1. Introduction to in-vitro pharmacology and physiological salt solutions.
2. Effect of drugs on isolated frog heart.
3. Effect of drugs on blood pressure and heart rate of dog.
4. Study of diuretic activity of drugs using rats/mice.
5. DRC of acetylcholine using frog rectus abdominis muscle.
6. Effect of physostigmine and atropine on DRC of acetylcholine using frog rectus abdominis muscle and rat ileum respectively.
7. Bioassay of histamine using guinea pig ileum by matching method.
8. Bioassay of oxytocin using rat uterine horn by interpolation method.
9. Bioassay of serotonin using rat fundus strip by three point bioassay.
10. Bioassay of acetylcholine using rat ileum/colon by four point bioassay.
11. Determination of PA2 value of prazosin using rat anococcygeus muscle (by Schilds plot method).
12. Determination of PD2 value using guinea pig ileum.
13. Effect of spasmogens and spasmolytics using rabbit jejunum.
14. Anti-inflammatory activity of drugs using carrageenan induced paw-edema model.
15. Analgesic activity of drug using central and peripheral methods.