We are very glad to present the book “PHY– 103: PRACTICAL
PHYSICS’’ in the hands of FYBSc students. The book is strictly written and
complied according to the semester pattern syllabus framed by the Board
of Studies in Physics, NMU Jalgaon, for First year BSc to be implemented
from June 2018 and is written in lucid, simple language giving exhaustive
This will help in generating interest and thorough understanding
of the subject. We hope, this book will be useful for the students and
This book is Useful for B.Sc Students.
1. Calculation of errors from given data.
2. Measurements of length (or diameter) using vernier caliper,screw gauge and travelling microscope.
3. To determine the Height of a Building using a Sextant.
4. To determine the Moment of Inertia of a Flywheel.
5. To determine the Modulus of Rigidity of a Wire by Maxwell’s needle.
6. To determine the Elastic Constants of a Wire by Searle’s method.
7. To determine ‘g’ by Bar Pendulum.
8. To determine ‘g’ by Kater’s Pendulum.
9. To study the Motion of a Spring and calculate (a) Spring Constant (b) Value of ‘g’.
10. To determine the Moment of Inertia of a Disc.
11. To determine Y by using flat spiral spring.
12. To determine Y of a rectangular beam by bending.
13. To determine η by using flat spiral spring.
14. To determine η by torsional oscillations.
15. To determine Y by vibrational cantilever.
16. To determine Poisson’s Ratio of rubber by using rubber cord/ tube.
17. Determination of coefficient of viscosity of water by Poiseuille’s method.
18. Verification of Bernoulli’s theorem.