Organic Chemistry by Bhupendra Mehta, Manju Mehta
Comprehensive in approach, this text presents a rigorous treatment of organic chemistry to enable undergraduate students to learn the subject in a clear, direct, easily understandable and logical manner. Presented in a new and exciting way, the goal of this book is to make the study of organic chemistry as stimulating, interesting, and relevant as possible.
Beginning with the structures and properties of molecules, IUPAC nomenclature, stereochemistry, and mechanisms of organic reactions, proceeding next to detailed treatment of chemistry of hydrocarbons and functional groups, then to organometallic compounds and oxidation-reduction reactions, and ending with a study of selected topics (such as heterocyclic compounds, carbohydrates, amino acids, peptides and proteins, drugs and pesticides, dyes, synthetic polymers and spectroscopy), the book narrates a cohesive story about organic chemistry. Transitions between topics are smooth, explanations are lucid, and tie-ins to earlier material are frequent to maintain continuity.
Audience of the Book :
This book Useful for Chemistry Students.
• EXPLORE MORE: Four sets of solved problems provide in-depth knowledge and enhanced understanding of some important aspects of organic chemistry.
• MINI ESSAYS: Three small essays present interesting write-ups to provide students with introductory knowledge of the chemistry of natural products such as lipids, terpenes, alkaloids, steroids along with nucleic acids and enzymes.
• NOTABILIA: Twenty-two ‘notabilia boxes’ interspersed throughout the text highlight the key aspects of related topics, varying from concepts of chemistry to the chemistry related to day-to-day life.
• STRUCTURES AND MECHANISMS NOT IN ORDER: Cites examples of common errors made by students while drawing structural formulae and displaying arrows in reaction mechanisms and helps them to improve on a language of organic chemistry by teaching appropriate drawings and their significance.
• GLOSSARY: Includes ‘Name reactions’, ‘Reagents’, and some important terms for quick revision by students.
Clearly written and logically organized, the authors have endeavored to make this complex and important branch of science as easy as possible for students to learn from and for teachers to teach from.
Table of Contents:
• Preface to the First Edition
1. Organic Molecules: Structure, Bonding, and Properties
2. IUPAC Nomenclature of Organic Compounds
4. Fundamentals of Organic Reactions
Explore More (Set-I)
5. Alkanes and Cycloalkanes
9. Concepts of Aromaticity, and Benzene and Its Derivatives
10. Aromatic Electrophilic Substitution Reactions—Mechanism, Orientation, and Reactivity
Explore More (Set-II)
13. Monohydric Alcohols (Alkanols)
14. Ethers, Epoxides, Thiols, and Thioethers
15. Polyhydric Alcohols (Diols and Triols)
Explore More (Set-III)
17. Aliphatic Carbonyl Compounds (Alkanals and Alkanones)
18. Aromatic Aldehydes and Ketones
19. Aliphatic Carboxylic Acids and Their Derivatives
20. Bifunctional Carboxylic Acids and Their Derivatives
21. Aromatic Carboxylic and Sulfonic Acids
Mini Essay I (Lipids, Soaps, and Detergents)
22. Aliphatic Nitrogen-Containing Compounds [Amines, Nitro, Nitriles, Isonitriles, Isocyanates, and Thiocyanates]
23. Aromatic Nitrogen-Containing Compounds (Nitro, Amines, and Diazonium Salts)
24. Polynuclear Hydrocarbons
Explore More (Set-IV)
Part I: Organometallic Compounds
Part II: Oxidation-Reduction Reactions
26. Heterocyclic Compounds
28. Amino Acids, Peptides and Proteins
Mini Essay II (Enzymes and Nucleic Acids)
29. Drugs and Pesticides
Mini Essay III (Terpenes, Alkaloids, Steroids)
31. Synthetic Polymers
32. Spectroscopy and Structure