About The Book Managing Intellectual Property
The book presents a comprehensive treatment of Intellectual Property concepts and its applications in Indian industry. Now, in its Fourth Edition, it includes a new chapter on IPR in Biotechnology and numerous cases/caselets in most of the chapters. It provides a strategic framework for IP management, leading to competitive advantage for a business enterprise. Besides explaining the conceptual framework and practices of IP management, the book discusses IP as a strategic tool, its commercial exploitation and strategies for risk management of IP. Web-based material comprising chapter-wise PowerPoint Presentations (PPTs) and Multiple Choice Questions is available at
This book is primarily intended as a text for postgraduate students of management, students of engineering and those who are pursuing certificate, postgraduate diploma or degree courses in IPR. In addition, professionals and corporate decision-makers should find the text valuable.
Discusses IPs such as Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks, Trade Secrets, Designs, Semiconductor Circuit Layouts and Geographical Indications, etc.
Practices issues of IPRs in Cyber Space, Fashion Design, Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical industry.
Classifies systems in practice for various IPs.
Provides IPRs legal provision in Indian context.
Includes a comprehensive glossary of important terms.
Table of Contents:
Part I: Intellectual Property A Strategic Tool
1. Intellectual Property System
2. IP Rights and Marketing Regulations
3. IP Management Framework
4. IP Audits
Part II: Intellectual Property: Legal Protection
5. Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs)
9. Trade Secrets
10. Industrial Designs
11. Geographical Indications
12. Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Layout Design
13. The Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Rights (PPVFR)
14. Biodiversity and Traditional Knowledge
Part III: Intellectual Property Exploitation and Risk Coverage
15. IPRs in Cyber Space
16. IPRs in Pharmaceutical Sector
17. IPR in Fashion Industry
18. IPRs in Biotechnology Sector
Part IV: Intellectual PropertyExploitation and Risk Coverage
19. Intellectual Property Licencing
20. Intellectual Property Insurance
21. Securitisation of Intellectual Property
22. Valuation of Intellectual Property
1. International Patent Classification Schemes
2. International Schedule of Classes of Goods and Services for Trademarks
3. Locarno Classification of Goods for Industrial Designs
4. Information Sources on Intellectual Property Rights
Glossary Company Index