Disaster Management by M. M. Sulphey
Regular famines, frequent earthquakes, repeated floods, and similar natural calamities have always threatened human lives on earth. These environmental turbulences, in the recent times, have increased manifolds and the repercussions are felt day in and out. Uttarakhand was totally washed down by the 2014 Floods, Kathmandu got devastated by the 2015 Earthquake, and the list is endless. These increasing threats posed by the recurring natural disasters have made disaster management a prerequisite!
This book provides various dimensions of Disaster Management, causes of disasters—both natural and manmade, threats posed and the ways of managing the same. Divided into 28 chapters, and organized into three parts, the book elaborately explains the concepts with suitable examples. Part I on ‘Systems of Earth’ introduces the readers to the various aspects of earth that could cause disasters.
Part II on ‘Disasters’ deals in detail with the various causes and dimensions of disasters. Part III on ‘Disaster Management’, provides the reader with various disaster management techniques and frameworks to mitigate the consequences of a disaster.
The book is suitable for the undergraduate and postgraduate students of Geography and also postgraduate students of Management. Moreover, the book can also be suitable for the students of Environmental Engineering.
Audience of the Book :
This book Useful for Management & Environmental Engineering students.
Table of Contents :
Part I: SYSTEMS OF EARTH
Part II: DISASTER AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT
7. Characteristics of Hazards
8. Categorisation of Disasters
9. Biological Hazard
10. Anthropogenic/Technological Hazards
11. Environmental Degradation: Land and Soil Degradation
12. Environmental Degradation: Air and Water
13. Environmental Degradation: Deforestation, Desertification and Others
16. Impact of Disasters
Part III: DISASTER MITIGATION
17. Disaster Management
19. Response to Natural Disasters
20. Mitigation of Manmade Disasters
23. International Disaster Assistance
24. Disaster Preparedness
25. Disaster Resilience
26. Disaster Management in India
27. Response to Disasters
28. International Frameworks in Disaster Management