This student-friendly text on Business Law discusses in detail different laws and Acts relating to business, commerce, trade and industry. Divided into six parts, Part I, The Indian Contract Act, 1872 discusses topics such as agreement and contract, offer and acceptance, and consideration. Part II, The Sale of Goods Act, 1930 deals with formation of contract of sale, conditions and warranties, and performance of contract of sale. Part III, The Indian Partnership Act, 1932 explains the nature of partnership and registration and dissolution of a firm. Part IV, The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 describes parties to negotiable instruments, presentation of negotiable instruments, and so on. Part V, The Indian Companies Act, 1956 discusses the formation and incorporation of a company and appointment of directors and their legal position. Part VI, General Acts, gives an overview of The Consumer Protection Act, 1986 and The Foreign Exchange Management Act, 2000.
The book is intended as a text for the undergraduate students of commerce and postgraduate students of management. Besides, students pursuing professional courses such as CA, ICWA and CS and those appearing for Judicial Services examination will also find the book quite useful.
• Cites examples, wherever necessary, to clarify the implication of the law.
• Illustrates concepts with the help of worked out examples.
• Furnishes a Glossary on the legal terms used.
• Cites case laws to make the concepts clear.
• Supplements the text with pedagogical features such as birds-eye view to make the book more practical and easy to understand.
Part I: The Indian Contract Act, 1872
1. Law an Overview
2. Business Laws an Introductory View
3. Nature of Contract
4. Agreement and Contract
5. Offer and Acceptance
7. Capacity to Contract
8. Free Consent
9. Legality of Object and Consideration
10. Void Agreements
11. Performance of Contract
12. Discharge of Contract
13. Breach of Contract
14. Contingent Contracts
15. Quasi Contracts
16. Indemnity and Guarantee
17. Bailment and Pledge
18. Law of Agency
Part II: The Sale of Goods Act, 1930
19. Formation of the Contract of Sale
20. Conditions and Warranties
21. Transfer of Ownership in Goods
22. Performance of the Contract of Sale
23. Unpaid Seller and Restorative Measures
Part III: The Indian Partnership
24. Nature of Partnership:
A General View
25. Relations of Partners to
26. Registration and Dissolution of a Firm
Part IV: Negotiable Instruments
27. Negotiable Instruments:
An Introductory View
28. Parties to Negotiable Instruments
30. Presentment of Negotiable Instruments
31. Dishonour and Discharge of Negotiable Instruments
32. Banker and Customer
Part V: The Indian Companies Act, 1956
33. Formation and Incorporation of Company
34. Legal Position of Directors, their Appointment and Remuneration
35. Meetings and Resolutions
Part VI: The Consumer Protection Act, 1986
36. The Consumer Protection Act, 1986: An Aggregate View
Part VII: The Foreign Exchange Management Act, 2000
37. Foreign Exchange Management Act, 2000: A Brief View