This well recognized and established book, a companion volume to the author’s book on Building Materials, explains the basics of building construction practices in an accessible style. It discusses in detail every element of building construction from start to the finish—from site preparation to provision of services (such as water supply, drainage and electricity supply). Besides, the text describes acoustics and maintenance of buildings, which are important considerations in building construction. This book is primarily designed as an introductory text for undergraduate students of civil engineering as well as those pursuing diploma courses in civil engineering and architecture. Practicing engineers and any person who has a keen interest in the construction and maintenance of his/her own building will also find the book very helpful.
This book Useful for Civil Engineering students.
1. Components of a Building and Building Specifications.
2. Site Preparation and Setting Out of Works.
3. Earthwork and Anti-termite Treatment.
4. Construction of Foundation.
5. Brick Masonry.
6. Block Masonry.
7. Stone Masonry.
8. Arches and Lintels.
9. DPC and Waterproofing of Basements.
10. Concrete Work.
11. Temporary Works: Formwork and Scaffolding.
12. Bending and Placing of Reinforcement in RCC Works.
13. Plastering and Pointing.
14. Flooring—General Considerations.
15. Concrete and Brick Floors.
16. Stone Floors.
17. Ceramic Tile Floors and Walls.
18. Resilient Floors.
19. Woodblock and Parquet Flooring.
20. Terrazzo Work.
21. Flat-floor and Flat-roofs Constructions.
22. Sloped Roofs.
23. Doors, Windows and Ventilators.
24. Timber Joints and Glazing.
25. Stairs and Lifts.
27. Waterproofing and Weatherproofing RC Roofs & Waterproofing Wet Areas.
28. Roof Drainage and Repair of Leakage.
29. Water Supply in Buildings.
30. Drainage of Wastewater and Sewage above Ground.
31. Drainage of Foul Water below the Ground Level.
32. Electricity Supply in Buildings.
33. Common Equipment Used in Construction of Ordinary Buildings.
34. Municipal Requirements in Planning of Buildings.
35. Design of Buildings for Comfort in Hot Climates.
36. Acoustics of Buildings.
37. Welding and Structural Steelworks.
38. Joining Pipes.
39. Miscellaneous Works.
40. Maintenance of Buildings.