This book has been divided into five units : Reproduction, Genetics and Evolution, Biology in Human Welfare, Biotechnology and Its Applications and Ecology and Environment. First unit on ‘Reproduction’ includes chapters on Reproduction in Organisms, Sexual Reproduction in Flowering Plants, Human Reproduction and Reproductive Health. Second unit on ‘Genetics and Evolution’ deals with the chapters like Principles of Inheritance and Variation, Molecular Basis of Inheritance and Evolution. We have put special emphasis on making the concepts clear for various aspects of Genetics and Evolution. Third unit of ‘Biology and Human Welfare’ includes the comprehensive study of Human Health and Disease, Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production and Microbes in Human Welfare. In fourth unit on 'Biotechnology and Its Applications which has been introduced in syllabus for the first time, attempts have been made to explain the basic principles, processes and applications of Biotechnology. The fifth unit on 'Ecology and Environment' incorporates topics like Habitats, Organisms and Populations, Ecosystem, Biodiversity and Environmental Issues. This unit includes details of Ecosystem components, types and Energy flow, Species, Population and Community, Ecological adaptations, Conservation of biodiversity and various current environmental problems.
1. The boxes which provide additional information about some specific topics
2. The boxes containing some interesting facts useful for competitive examinations
3. Comparative tables to highlight the differences between important concepts.
4. Profusely illustrated with examples and well labelled diagrams.
8. Human Health and Diseases
9. Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production
10. Microbes in Human Welfare
11. Biotechnology : Principles and Processes
12. Biotechnology and its Applications
13. Organisms and Populations
15. Biodiversity and Conservation
16. Environmental Issues
Answers to Chapter Practice Tests (8 -16)