| About The Book Information Sources,Services And Systems
Reference and information services are considered an important activity of a modern library. This comprehensive and student-friendly book discusses in detail different types of information and reference sources and services, such as encyclopaedias, directories, yearbooks, dictionaries, geographical sources, biographical sources, statistical sources and handbooks.
The book is organised into four parts. Part I deals with various types of information sources such as documentary and non-documentary sources. Part II discusses different types of reference services, organisation of reference section and the role of the librarian in the digital age. Part III describes the wide range of information service such as Current Awareness Service (CAS) and Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI). Part IV provides an overview of important information systems such as National Information System for Science and Technology (NISSAT) and International System for Agricultural Science and Technology (AGRIS).
The book is intended for the undergraduate and postgraduate students of library science. Besides, it will also be very useful for librarians, information scientists, and information professionals.
• Deals with both theoretical and practical aspects of information sources and services.
• Discusses various types of information sources and services keeping in view the latest trends and developments in the field.
• Presents the concepts related to information sources and services in a systematic and accessible way.
Table of Contents:
Part I: Reference Sources
1. Information Source
2. Kinds of Reference Books and their Evaluation
5. Ready Reference Sources
6. Statistical Sources
7. Geographical Sources
8. Biographical Sources
9. Indexing Sources and Services
10. Abstracting Sources and Services
12. Patents and Standards
13. Non-documentry Sources of Information
14. Electronic/Digital Information Sources
15. Internet as Source of Information
Part II: Reference Services
16. Reference Services
17. Reference Services in Different Types of Libraries
18. Organisation of Reference Section
19. Role of Reference Librarian/Information Officer in Electronic Environment
Part Iii: Information Services
20. Concept and Need for Information
21. Information Services:
22. Translation Services
23. Literature Search Service
24. Document Delivery and Electronic Document Delivery Service
25. Current Awareness Service (CAS)
26. Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
27. Reprographic Service
28. Documentation/Information Centres
29. National Documentation Centres
30. Computer based Information Services
31. Information Literacy Programmes
32. Users and their Information Needs
Part IV: Information Systems
33. Information Systems