Industrial Hygiene and Chemical Safety by M H Fulekar
Chemical industry is the fastest growing industry in the country, with its present share of about 40% in the national gross industrial output. However, industrial activities involving hazardous chemicals have the potential to cause occupational diseases, injuries, in serious cases even death, besides pollution to the environment, if effective safety measures in the use of chemicals at workplace are not observed. This makes the study of Industrial Hygiene, Health and Chemical Safety aspects of the industrial processes and operations at the workplace very important for industrial personnel, academicians and researchers. Keeping this in view, the paper ''Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health and Safety'' has been included in the syllabus of M.Sc. Environmental Sciences. Besides, Diploma in Industrial Safety is compulsory for Safety Officers in the industry. Chemical industries too require guidelines in the form of a book on Industrial Hygiene and Chemical Safety.
Audience of the Book :
|The present book has been designed to meet the requirements of the above-mentioned courses and the industry|
The main features of the book are as follows:
1. The book is divided into two parts, dealing with industrial hygiene in part I, and chemical safety in part II.
2. The chemical safety part contains topics on site appraisal and EIA, handling hazardous chemicals, safety codes, preventive measures, HAZOP studies, emergency measures and safety audit.
3.Contains a useful appendix which lists the major accidents around the world involving hazardous substances.
Table of Contents:
1. Industrial Hygiene and Chemical Safety
2. Concept of Industrial Hygiene
3. Physical Stresses
4. Chemical Stresses: Surface Coating
5. Monitoring Techniques of Airborne Chemicals at Workplace Environment
6. Biological Monitoring
7. Occupational Diseases
8. Operational Control Measures
9. Personal Protective Equipment
10. Siting and Layout of a Chemical Plant
11. Classification and Transportation of Hazardous Chemicals
12. Storage and Handling of Hazardous Substances
13. Safety in Explosives
14. Pipeline – Safety
15. Chemical Process Safety
16. Risk Assessment
17. Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) Studies
18. Emergency Preparations: On-Site and Off-Site
19. Safety Audit