As in the previous editions, this substantially revised and updated edition continues to discuss in detail the various methods of organizing a hospitals Human Resource Department. It also shows how the use of scientific techniques can improve the services of the hospital and ultimately benefit the patients as well as the hospital itself. The Sixth Edition brings in new concepts and new ideas and takes into account the contemporary challenges of hospitals in the human resource management area.
What is New to This Edition
One entire new section on Twelfth Five Year Plan (20122017).
Two New ChaptersChapter 6 on Patient Safety and Chapter 7 on Hospital Information System.
New Supreme Court Judgements on Consumer Protection replacing the older judgements
Intended primarily as a text for students pursuing Master of Hospital Administration (MHA), postgraduate diploma courses in Hospital Adminis-tration or Health Care Services, and undergraduate and postgraduate courses in nursing (B.Sc./M.Sc. Nursing), the book would be equally useful for all those engaged in hospital administration, nursing administration, and human resource management.
What the Reviewers Say
1. This book vividly covers the principles and objectives of management including the financial administration of a hospital. It is essential ... for the hospital administrators and students of hospital management.
Swaraj Halder, Hony. Editor,
Journal of Indian Medical Association, Kolkata
2. Overall, the book is educative, relevant and is very well written. It would serve as a reference book for all hospital administrators.
Professor Veena Choudhary, Director, G.B. Pant Hospital, New Delhi
(Excerpt from Book Review in JIMSA, JanuaryMarch 2010)
Preface to the First Edition
1. History, Growth and Classification of Hospitals in India
2. Health Services through Five Year Plans
3. National Health Policy 2002
4. Hospital Administration
5. Administrative Steps Required to be taken in Establishing a New Hospital
6. Patient Safety
7. Hospital Information System
8. Human Resource Management in HospitalsAn Overview
9. Evolution of Human Resource Management and its Role in Hospitals
10. Organizing the Human Resource Department
11. Manpower Planning
12. Recruitment, Selection and Induction
13. Training and Management Development
14. Wage and Salary Administration
15. Employees Performance Appraisal
16. Working Conditions, Safety, Welfare and Employees Health Services
17. Promotions, Transfers and Dismissals/Resignations
20. Collective Bargaining in Hospitals
21. Discipline and Disciplinary Action
22. Human Resource Audit
23. Organization Development
24. Management by Objectives
25. Human Relations in Hospitals
26. Importance of Teamwork in Hospitals
27. Bio-medical Waste Management in Hospital
28. Legal Tips for Hospital Administrators