The emergence of the financial sector has brought unprecedented changes in the principles, practices and legal framework of the banking and insurance sectors. This up-to-date and student-friendly text describes, with great clarity and precision, the role of banking and insurance sectors in the current era of globalization, privatization and liberalization.
The book first introduces the readers to the banking business, retail banking, international banking, Internet banking and tele-banking, including the ATMs, credit, debit and smart cards. Then it goes on to give a detailed description of enterprise risk management (ERM), life insurance plans, insurance rating methods and claims settlement in life insurance. The text concludes with a discussion on insurance intermediaries and their functioning, the legal framework, as well as major players in the Indian insurance industry and future trends of the industry.
The second edition has been substantially updated and includes a new chapter on Practical Banking, which discusses cheques, drafts, core banking solution and banking ombudsman.
This book is recommended in Assam Institute of Management, Assam, St. Xavier College, Ranchi, Birla Institute of Technology, Patna.
The text is interspersed with many examples and illustrations, and other pedagogic features. It is designed primarily as a textbook for the undergraduate students (BA) for their course in banking and insurance. Besides, it will prove to be a handy reference for students of management, commerce and those taking banking and insurance courses.
1. Acquaints the students with most recent developments in banking and insurance sectors
2. Provides numerous end-of-chapter review questions
3. Gives important abbreviations and real-life cases
1. Introduction to Banking Business
2. Structure of Commercial Banks in India
3. Banking Sectors
4. Electronic Banking
5. Loans and Advances
6. Priority Sector Lending
7. Export Credit
8. Annual Report and Balance Sheet of a Bank
9. Project and Working Capital Finance
10. Banking Legislation
11. Banking Sector Reforms and NPAs
12. Practical Banking
13. Risk Management: An Overview
14. Introduction to Insurance
15. Life Insurance
16. Fire Insurance
17. Marine Insurance
18. Motor Vehicle Insurance
19. Health Insurance
20. Miscellaneous Insurance
22. Insurance Pricing
24. Policy Servicing and Claims Settlement
25. Channels of Distribution
26. Legal Framework
27. Indian Insurance Industry: Transition and Prospects
A: Public Sector Banks
B: Foreign Banks in India
C: Private Sector Banks
D: Cooperative Banks