Wireless Sensor Networks Syllabus for NIT Jalandhar
EC-460 Wireless Sensor Networks [3 0 0 3]
Introduction: Introduction to Sensor Networks, unique constraints and challenges, Advantage of Sensor Networks, Applications of Sensor Networks, Mobile Adhoc NETworks (MANETs) and Wireless Sensor Networks, Enabling technologies for Wireless Sensor Networks
Sensor Node Hardware and Network Architecture: Single-node architecture, Hardware components & design constraints, Operating systems and execution environments, introduction to TinyOS and nesC, Network architecture, Optimization goals and figures of merit, Design principles for WSNs, Service interfaces of WSNs, Gateway concepts.
Deployment and Configuration: Localization and positioning, Coverage and connectivity, Single-hop and
multihop localization, self configuring localization systems, sensor management
Network Protocols: Issues in designing MAC protocol for WSNs, Classification of MAC Protocols, S-MAC
Protocol, B-MAC protocol, IEEE 802.15.4 standard and Zig Bee, Dissemination protocol for large sensor
Routing protocols: Issues in designing routing protocols, Classification of routing protocols, Energy-efficient
routing, Unicast, Broadcast and multicast, Geographic routing.
Data Storage and Manipulation: Data centric and content based routing, storage and retrieval in network, compression technologies for WSN, Data aggregation technique.
Applications: Detecting unauthorized activity using a sensor network, WSN for Habitat Monitoring.
1. Holger Kerl, Andreas Willig, “Protocols and Architectures for Wireless Sensor Network”, John
Wiley and Sons, 2005 (ISBN: 978-0-470-09511-9)
2. Raghavendra, Cauligi S, Sivalingam, Krishna M., Zanti Taieb, “Wireless Sensor Network”,
Springer 1st Ed. 2004 (ISBN: 978-4020-7883-5).
3. Feng Zhao, Leonidas Guibas, “ Wireless Sensor Network”,Elsevier, 1st Ed. 2004 (ISBN: 13- 978-
4. Kazem, Sohraby, Daniel Minoli, Taieb Zanti, “Wireless Sensor Network: Technology, Protocols
and Application”, John Wiley and Sons 1st Ed., 2007 (ISBN: 978-0-471-74300-2).
5. B. Krishnamachari, “ Networking Wireless Sensors”, Cambridge University Press.
6. N. P. Mahalik, “Sensor Networks and Configuration: Fundamentals, Standards, Platforms, and
Applications” Springer Verlag.