WBUT Question Papers EC
Industrial Management B Tech Sixth Sem 2010
Time Allotted : 3 Hours
Full Marks : 7
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words
as far as practicable.
GROUP – A ( Multiple Choice Type Questions )
- Choose the correct alternatives for any ten of the following :
10 x 1 « 10
1) Marketing begins with
a) hiring of employees & ends with firing of employees
b) recognition of need & ends with customer satisfaction
c) store and ends with finished products
. d) fund inflow and ends with outflow.[ Turn over
Ji) Management aims at
; a) effective utilization of human and material resources
b) retrenchment or punishment of indiscipline workers ,
c) satisfying the competitor
d) profit maximization.
Hi) Employee turnover is
a) the rate of which employees absent themselves
b) the rate of theft committed by employees
c) putting the right man in the right job
d) the rate of change of working hands of particular organization during a given period.
iv) MBO is known as
a) Management by objective
b) Marketing by objective
c) Management buy-outs .
d) none of these.
v) Who professed Hygiene Theory of Motivation ?
a) Abraham Maslow b) Philip Kotler .
c) Herzberg d) Douglas McGregor.
vi) Who is called The Father of Modem Management’ ? a) F.W. Taylor
b) Henry Fayol
c) Elton Mayo d) Max Weber.
vii) Luther Gullick states functions of
management under the catch word ‘PODSCORB’.
£0 six b) seven
c) eight d) ten.
viii) Productivity is the
a) output-input ratio
b) input-output ratio
• d) cost of production.
IX) Which of the foUowing statements is false ?
a) Mary Follett first defined management as an art
b) Elton Mayo is the pioneer of Hawthorne experiment
c) The expectancy theory of faiotivation was developed by V.H. Vroom
d) ’Business portfolio matrix’ was developed by Bill Gates.
x) Trade Union Act Was passed in the year
a) 1948 b) 1890
c) 1926 d) 1947. ‘
xi) The number of members required for registration of a Trade Union is
a) 5 b) 7
c) 10 d) 12.
jdi) Financial management deals with
a) satisfying the needs of customer
b) training and development of employees
c) procurement and utilization of fund
d) designing user-friendly products.
xiii) Heniy Fayol is the propounder of principles
of management. ‘
a) seven b) ten
c) fourteen d) sixteen.
GROUP – B ( Short Answer Type Questions)
Answer any three of the following. 3×5=15
- Differentiate between marketing and selling.
- What will be the profit volume ratio and profit in the following case ?
Actual sales Rs. 30,000
Fixed costs Rs. 6,000
BEP sales Rs. 15,000
- Enumerate any ten elements of ISO 9000 quality systems.
- Define merit rating. State the difference between merit rating and performance appraisal.
- Define forecasting.’Enumerate the importance of forecasting.
GROUP -C ( Long Answer Type Questions )
Answer any three of the following. 3 x 15 = 45
- Explain the process of communication in a business organisation with the help of a diagram. State the major barriers to communications. Suggest the ways to make communication effective. . 6 + 4 + 5
- Discuss different schools of management thought. State the principal functions of management. 8 + 7
- a) Differentiate between job production and batch production.
|b) 10 samples each of size 50 of a boiler pipe were inspected in pressure testing as per the results given below. Draw p-chart and state your conclusion :
- a} 10 woolen carpets were studied critically for total number of defects to each sample in their texture. The details of the no. of defects in each carpet are given below : .
|Number qf defects ;||2||4||3||5||1||3||2||3||4||3|
|Construct a C-chart for the number of cjefectf and comment on the result. i •|
b) The following figures are available of a particular project: ;
Year Sales (Rs.) Prqflt (R».)
2001 3,00,000 25,000
2002 2,00,000 5,000 Calculate the following:
4 Fixed cost ‘
U) Break-even point ( in Rupee value ) for the year 2001.
iiii) What should be sales turnover in the year 2003 to make a profit of Rs. 40,000 ? 5 + 5 + 5
H. a) Dtocuss briefly how productivity in a manufacturing > organization can be involved.
. b) A manufacturer’s requirement for a raw material is 2000 units per annum. The ordering cost per order is Rs. 10 per Order while the carrying costs are 16 paise per unit of average inventory, the purchase price is Re. 1 per unit. Find the EOQ and the total inventory cost; If a discount of 5% is available for orders of 1000 units, should the manufacturer accept this offer ?