Wbut Previous Year Question Papers CS English Language And Communication B Tech Sem First Dec – 2006
Wbut Previous Year Question Papers
CS English Language And Communication B Tech Sem – 1 Dec – 2006
Time : 3 Hours ] I FuU Marks : 70
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable.
- In each of the following sentences parts of the sentences are left blank. Beneath each sentence four different ways of completing the sentence are indicated. Choose the best alternative from among the four. 5 x 2 = 10
- i) Peter, …………………………………… by the repeated rejections of his novel………………………… to submit
his manuscript to other publishers.
£0 encouraged … declined
b) elated … planned
c) undaunted … continued
d) inspired … complied.
ii) The judge, after ruling, that the article had unjustly the reputation of
the artifact, ordered the magazine to its libellous statements in print.
a) praised … communicate
b) injured … retract
c) sullied … publicise
d) extolled … produce.
iii) In order to the deadline for submitting the research paper, the student
tried to.. additional time from the professor.
a) extend … wheedle
b) accelerate … obtain
c) postpone … forego
d) sustain … imagine.
iv) Jazz Is an American art form which is now in Europe through the
determined efforts of in France, Scandinavia and Germany.
a) foundering … governments
b) diminishing… musicians
c) flourishing … expatriates
d) waning … novices.
v) Despite the millions of dollars spent on improvements, the telephone system in
India remains .. and continues to the citizens who depend on
a) primitive … inconvenience
b) bombastic … upset
c) suspicious … connect
d) outdated … elate.
- i) Each of the questions below consists of a word in capital letters, followed by five words or phrases which have been given in italics. Choose the word or phrase that is most nearly similar in meaning to the word in capital letters and write the correct answer. 5×1=5
a) Atrophy—capture, waste away, govern, award prize, defeat
b) Audacity—boldness, asperity, strength, stature, anchorage.
c) Biosterous—conflicting, noisy, testimonial, grateful, adolescent.
d) Bombastic—sensitive, pompous, rapid, sufficient, expensive. ,
e) Candid—vague, frank, experienced, anxious, angry.
ii) Complete the following sentences using the correct verb forms from the options given to you. 5×1=5
a) Not only my books but also my pen was / were found in the library.
b) John and Mary is / are / shall not going”to the party.
c) You, I, or both of us together will / am / are going to have to finish this work.
d) The analysis and evaluation of the reports of dowry deaths is / are / am very difficult.
e) My roommates or John is / are / would going to buy tickets for the concert.
- 1) Write the word or phrase you believe is nearest in meaning to the key word :
5 x 1= 5
a) facsimile — fake; model or example; nestrum; exact copy.
b) indelible — permanent; beyond doubt; impenetrable; eradicable.
c) flair — energy signal; enthusiasm; light hearted; natural ability.
d) communique — propaganda; cipher; announcement; indiscretion.
e) diligent — honest; hard working; serious; watchful.
ii) Explain with the help of one sentence each, the meanings of the following expressions : 5×1=5
Section – II
- Write a job application and your curriculum vitae in response to the following advertisement published on 25th September, 2006. 10
A professionally managed engineering concern of international repute is looking for Sales Executive aged below 28 years with a First Class B. Tech. degree and ready to serve anywhere in India and abroad. Candidates should have a sharp mind, pleasant personality, good communication skill and persuasive abilities. Attractive remuneration and benefits. Apply within 15 days to Box 223, The Statesman Ltd., Kolkata – 700 001.
Write a solicited letter applying for the post of Junior Engineer advertised by Malibu Industries on 28th September, 2006. Write your CV along with it.
- Write an essay on any one of the following topics : 10
i) Is there any direct correlation between education and success ?
ii) Impact of Information Technology on Society, ill) Effects of Advertisement on the society.
Section – III
- Read the fallowing passage and answer the questions given below :
After Inventing dynamite, Swedish-bom Alfred Nobel became a rich man. However he foresaw its universal destructive power too late. Nobel preferred not to be remembered as the inventor of dynamite, so in 1985, two weeks before his death, he created a fund to be used for awarding prizes to people who had made worthwhile contributions to humanity. Originally there were five awards : literature, physics, chemistiy, medicine and peace. Economics was added in 1968, just sixty-seven years after the first awards ceremony.
Nobel’s original legacy of nine billion dollars was invested, and the interest on this sum is used for the awards, which may vary from $ 30,000 to $ 1,25,000.
Every year on December 10, the anniversary of Nobel’s death, the awards are presented to the winners. Sometimes politics plays an important role in judge’s decisions. Americans have won numerous science awards, but relatively few literature prizes.
No awards were presented from 1940 to 1942 at the beginning of World War II. Some : people have won two prizes, but this is rare; others have shared their prizes.
Answer the following questions :
A) The word “foresaw” in the sentence 2 is nearest in meaning to
d) predicted. – 1
B) The Nobel Prize was eastablished in order to
a) recognize worthwhile contributions to humanity
b) resolve political differences
c) honour the inventor of dynamite
d) spend money. 1
C) In which area have the Americans received the most awards ?
d) Science. 1
D) All the following statements are true except
a) Awards vary in momentary value
b) Ceremonies are held on December 10 to commemorate Nobel’s invention
c) Politics play an important role in selecting the winners
d) A few individuals have won two awards. 1
E) In how many fields are prizes bestowed ?
d) 10. 1
F) Make a precis of the above passage and add a suitable title to it. 3 + 2
- Workwell Industries Limited has observed that a sizeable number of employees take leave on certain occasions such as mega music event, test cricket matches, and international film festivals. You as the Vice-President, Personnel, feel that this hampers the smooth functioning of the industry and tells upon the efficiency of the organization. Appealing to the Divisional Heads of your organization to take suitable action to prevent such mass absenteeism, draft a a memo and mark a copy of the same to your Managing Director. ■ 10