VTU Previous Question Papers BE CS 4th Semester Computer Organization February 2005
VTU Previous Question Papers BE CS 4th Semester
Computer Organization February 2005
Note: Answer any FIVE full questions.
1. (a) Explain different functional units of a digital computer.
(b) List and explain the developments made during different generations of Computer.
(c) What is a bus? Explain single bus structure in an architecture.
2. (a) Explain the following :
i) Byte addressability
ii) Big-endian assignment
iii) Little-endian assignment.
(b) What is an addressing mode? Explain different addressing modes.
(c) What are assembler directives? Explain any two directives.
3. (a) Explain i) Logical ii) Shift iii) Rotate instructions with examples.
(b) Explain with an example, usage of stacks in a nested subroutine calls.
(c) Write an assembly language program to solve an expression ax2 + bx + c = 0 using two addressing modes.
4. (a) Explain any two methods of handling multiple I/O devices.
(b) Why bus arbitration is required? Explain with block diagram bus arbitration using daisy chain.
(b) With a block diagram, explain, how a keyboard is connected to a processor.
5. a) Show the control sequences for execution of Add (R3), R1 and explain.
b) Explain the IEEE standards for floating point number.
c) With block diagram, explain the working of microwave oven in an embedded system.
6 . Write short notes on :
1) Microprogrammed V/s hardwired control
2) Virtual memory
3) SCSI bus
4) Multiprocessors and multi computers.