VTU Previous Question Papers BE 6th Semester EC
1. On completing your answers, compulsorily draw diagonal cross lines on the remaining blank pages.
2. Any revealing of identification, appeal to evaluator and/or equations written eg, 42+8=50. will be treated as malpractice.
Sixth Semester B.E. Degree Examination, Dec.09/Jan. 2010Microprocessors
Note: Answer any FIVE Full questions, selecting at least Two Questions from each part.
1 a. Discuss briefly, how microprocessor has evolved with relevance to its capal and applications.
b. With reference to 8086 CPU, explain the role of the following:
(i) Instruction queue
(ii) Segment registers
(iii) General purpose registers.
c.Write and explain with relevant timing diagram a memory read mode.
2.a. Explain the significance of the following pins of 8086
b. Differentiate between the following instruction and explain them with suitable Example.
i) Shift and rotate
ii) HLT and INT-n
iii) Jmp and call
c.What are the assembler directives? Explai
i) Price db (?)
ii) PAI Equ-40h
3.a. Write an assembly language program to arrange ‘N’ bytes of data in ascending order. Write relevant Comment for each of the instruction used.
e action performed by the following directives:
b. Use string instructions to perform the following:
( i) Block move of ‘N’ bytes from ‘SOURCE’ to ‘DESTN’
(ii) Concatenate two strings.
Write complete program with comments.
4. (a) Explain the software and hardw-are interrupt structure in 8086.
(b) he significance of BIOS & DOS interrupts.
(c) Differentiate between macros and procedures.
5.a Show an interface of a matrix keyboard to a 8086 and explain its basic principle of operation.
b. With necessary hardware and software, show an interface of 7 segment LED display to a 8086 processor.
6. a. What is a co-processor? Why it is called so? Give the significance of 8087 NDP. (Numerical data processor).
b. Explain the various data types that 8087 can handle. Give examples.
c. Write a program to obtain the hypotenuse of a right angles triangle given its sides A & B using 8087 interfaced to 8086.
7. (a)Explain with relevant block diagram the maximum mode operation of 8086.
(b) What are the characteristics of the following?
i) Peripheral component interconnect (PCI)
ii) Universal serial bus (USB),
c. Show an interface of a printer to a 8086 processor. Explain the signals of importance
8. a. Write a note on the various special registers in 80386 CPU.
b. Discuss briefly the two modes of operation in 80386.
c. Describe the basic features of a Pentium processor.