Syllabus of GTU VLSI Technology and Design 6th Sem EC
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
Electronics &Communication Engineering
B. E. SEMESTER: VI
Subject Name: VLSI Technology and Design
Subject Code: 161004
Overview of VLSI design methodology, VLSI design flow, Design
hierarchy, Concept of regularity, Modularity, and Locality, VLSI design
style, Design quality, package technology, ,computer aided design
2. Fabrication of MOSFET :
Introduction, Fabrication Process flow: Basic steps, C-MOS n-Well
Process, Layout Design rules, full custom mask layout design.
3. MOS Transistor:
The Metal Oxide Semiconductor (MOS) structure, The MOS System under
external bias, Structure and Operation of MOS transistor, MOSFET Current-
Voltage characteristics, MOSFET scaling and small-geometry effects, MOSFET
4. MOS Inverters: Static Characteristics:
Introduction, Resistive load Inverter, Inverter with n-type MOSFET load
(Enhancement and Depletion type MOSFET load), CMOS Inverter
5. MOS Inverters Switching characteristics and Interconnect Effects :
Introduction, Delay-time definitions, Calculation of Delay times, Inverter design
with delay constraints, Estimation of Interconnect Parasitic, Calculation of
interconnect delay, Switching Power Dissipation of CMOS Inverters
6. Combinational MOS Logic Circuits:
Introduction, MOS logic circuits with Depletion nMOS Loads, CMOS logic
circuits, Complex logic circuits, CMOS Transmission Gates (TGs)
7. Sequential MOS Logic Circuits :
Introduction, Behaviour of Bistable elements, The SR latch circuit, Clocked
latch and Flip-flop circuit, CMOS D-latch and Edge-triggered flip-flop
8. Dynamic Logic Circuits :
Introduction, Basic Principles of pass transistor circuits, Voltage
Bootstrapping, Synchronous Dynamic Circuit Techniques, CMOS Dynamic
Circuit Techniques, High-performance Dynamic CMOS circuits
9. Chip I/P and O/P Circuits :
On chip Clock Generation and Distribution, Latch –Up and its Prevention
10. Design for testability :
Introduction, Fault types and models, Controllability and observability, Ad
Hoc Testable design techniques, Scan –based techniques, built-in Self
Test (BIST) techniques, current monitoring IDDQ test
11. Introduction to Programmable Logic Devices:
FPGA and CPLD
CMOS Digital Integrated circuits – Analysis and Design by Sung – Mo Kang, Yusuf
Leblebici, TATA McGraw-Hill Pub. Company Ltd., Third Edition.
(1) Basic VLSI Design By Pucknell and Eshraghian, PHI,3rd ed.
(2) Introduction to VLSI Systems by Mead C and Conway, Addison Wesley
(3) Introduction to VLSI Circuits & Systems – John P. Uyemura
(4) Fundamentals of Digital Logic Design with VHDL, Brown and Vranesic
1. Minimum 9 practicals Based on VHDL/Verilog
2. Minimum 3 Practicals Based on Pspice/spice of MOSFET Characteristics
3. Minimum 2 Practicals on Layout Tools
VLSI design methodologies should be covered during Laboratory sessions.
Suggested List of Experiments
1. Introduction to programmable devices (FPGA, CPLD), Hardware Description
Language (VHDL), and the use programming tool.
2. Implementation of basic logic gates and its testing.
3. Implementation of adder circuits and its testing.
4. Implementation 4 to 1 multiplexer and its testing.
5. Implementation of 3 to 8 decoder and its testing.
6. Implementation of J-K and D Flip Flops and its testing.
7. Implementation of sequential adder and its testing.
8. Implementation of BCD counter and its testing.
9. Implementation of two 8-bit multiplier circuit and its testing.
10. Simulation of CMOS Inverter using SPICE for transfer characteristic.
11. Simulation and verification of two input CMOS NOR gate using SPICE.
12. Implementation and simulation of given logic function using dynamic logic.
13. To generate layout for CMOS Inverter circuit and simulate it for verification.
14. To prepare layout for given logic function and verify it with simulations.
VHDL/Verilog based mini project with emphasis on design and implementation is
To download engineering ebooks, medical ebooks, management ebooks, free ebooks please visit www.kopykitab.com