Syllabus of GTU Satellite communication 7th Sem EC
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
Electronics & Communication Engg.
B. E. SEMESTER: VII
Subject Name: Satellite communication (Department Elective – I)
Subject Code: 171007
Overview of Satellite Communication
2. Orbital Mechanics and launchers:
Orbital Mechanics, Look Angle Determination, Orbital perturbations, orbit
Control system, Telemetry, tracking, Command and monitoring, power
systems, Communication subsystems, Transponders, Satellite Antennas,
Equipment reliability and space qualification.
3. Satellite Link Design:
Basic transmission Theory, system noise temperature and G/T ratio,
Design of downlinks, Satellite systems using small earth stations Uplink
design, Design for C/N:Combining C/N and C/I values in satellite links,
System design examples
4. Multiple access techniques for satellite links:
Multiple access, Frequency division Multiple Access, Time, division
Multiple Access, On board processing, Demand access Multiple Access,
Random access. Code division Multiple Access.
5. Propagation effects and their impact on satellite-earth links:
Quantifying attenuation and depolarization, propagation effects that are not
associated with hydrometers, rain and ice effects, prediction of rain
attenuation, prediction of XPD, propagation impairment Countermeasures.
6. VSAT systems:
Nnetwork architectures, Access control protocol, Basic techniques, SAT
earth station engineering, Calculation of link margins for VSAT star
network, system design procedures.
7. Low Earth Orbit and Non-Geostationary Satellite systems:
Orbit considerations, Coverage and frequency considerations, Delay and
throughput considerations, Operational NGSO constellation design,
introduction to Satellite mobile network
8. Direct broadcast Satellite TV and radio:
C-Band and Ku band home satellite TV, Digital DBS –TV, DBS –TV
system design, DBS –TV link budget, error control in digital DBS TV, DBS
–TV link budget, Master control station and uplink, establishment of DBS –
TV antennas Satellite radio broadcasting
9. Satellite Navigation and Global Positioning System:
Radio and Satellite navigation, GPS position location principles, GPS
receivers and Codes ,satellite signal acquisition, GPS navigation message,
GPS signal levels, timing accuracy, GPS receiver operation.
1. Satellite Communication, by Timothy Pratt, Charles Bostian, Jeremy Allnutt, Willey Student edition, second edition
2. Satellite Communication, by Dennis Roddy, TataMcGraw Hill
3. Communication Satellite systems,by James Martyn, Prentice Hall
4. Satellite communication by Wilbur L. Pritchard & Josheph a.Sciulli-PHI
To download engineering ebooks, medical ebooks, management ebooks, free ebooks please visit www.kopykitab.com