Syllabus of GTU Optical Communication 6th Sem EC
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
Electronics &Communication Engineering
B. E. SEMESTER: VI
Subject Name: Optical Communication
Subject Code: 161005
1. Overview of Optical fiber Communications :
Electromagnetic spectrum, Optical Spectral bands, Evolution of fiber optic
system, Multiplexing Techniques, Elements of an optical fiber
transmission link with the functional description of each block, WDM
concepts, transmission widows, advantages of optical fiber link over
conventional copper systems, applications of fiber optic transmission
2. Optical fibers : Structures, Waveguiding and Fabrication :
Optical laws and definitions, optical fiber modes and configurations, Mode
theory, Step Index and Graded Index (GI) fibers ,single mode and graded
index fibers, Derivation for numerical aperture, V number and modes
supported by step index fiber, mode field ,Numerical aperture and modes
supported by GI fibers, fiber materials, linearly Polarized modes fiber
fabrication techniques, and mechanical properties of fibers, fiber optic
3. Signal Degradation in Optical Fibers :
Attenuation, signal distortion in optical waveguides, pulse broadening in
graded index fiber, Characteristics of Single Mode Fibers, mode coupling,
International Standards for optical transmission fibers.
4. Optical Sources :
Semiconductor Physics background, Light emitting diode (LEDs)-
structures, materials, Figure of merits, characteristics & Modulation. Laser
Diodes -Modes & threshold conditions, Diode Rate equations, resonant
frequencies, structures, characteristics and figure of merits, single mode
lasers, Modulation of laser diodes, Spectral width , temperature effects,
and Light source linearity.
5. Power Launching and Coupling :
Source to fiber power launching, Lensing schemes, fiber-to-fiber joints,
LED coupling to single mode fibers, fiber splicing, Optical fiber connectors.
6. Photodetectors :
Principles of operation, types, characteristics, figure of merits of detectors
photodiode materials, photodetector noise, detector response time,
temperature effects on gain, comparison of photodetectors.
7. Optical Receiver Operation :
Receiver operation, Preamplifier types, receiver performance and
sensitivity, Eye diagrams, Coherent detection, Specification of receivers.
8. Transmission Systems :
Point –to-point link –system considerations, Link power budget and rise
time budget methods for design of optical link, BER calculation
9. Optical Amplifiers :
Semiconductor optical Amplifier, EDFA, Raman Amplifier, Wideband
10. Advances in Optical Fiber Systems :
Principles of WDM, DWDM, Telecommunications & broadband application,
SONET/SDH, MUX, Analog & Digital broadband, optical switching.
11. Overview of Optical Components :
Optical couplers, Tunable sources and Filters ,optical MUX/DEMUX,
Arrayed waveguide grating, optical add drop multiplexer (OADM), optical
cirulators, attenuators, optical cross connects, wavelength converter,
12. Fiber Optical Measurements :
Test Equipments, OTDR , Set ups for Measurement of Attenuation,
Dispersion, NA and EYE pattern .
1. Optical Fiber Communications by Gerd Keiser, 4th Edition (Mc Graw Hill)
1. Optical Fiber Communication by John M. Senior (PHI/Pearson)
2. Fiber optical communication Technology by Djafar Mymbaev & Lowell L,
3. Fiber optic Communication Systems by G. Agrawal (John Wiley and sons)List of
Suggested Practical Assignments:
1. Setting -up of Analog/ Digital Optical communication Link
2. Measurement of attenuation characteristics of an optical fiber
3. Measurement of NA of a multimode fiber
4. Measurement of Mode field diameter of a single mode fiber.
5. Measurement of Dispersion of optical fiber
6. Performance of PAM on fiber optic link
7. Performance of PWM on fiber optic link
8. Performance of PPM on fiber optic link
9. Measurement of attenuation with OTDR
10. Measurement of emission wavelength of LED/LASER source
11. Measurement of Data quality with EYE PATTERN
12. Preparation of optical fiber end and practices on splicing/connectorization.
13. Performance of TDM on fiber optic link
14. Setting -up of voice link on Optical communication Link.
15. Performing Experiments on the VI characteristics of the optical Sources.
16. Performing Experiments on the characteristics of the optical detectors.
To download engineering ebooks, medical ebooks, management ebooks, free ebooks please visit www.kopykitab.com