Syllabus of GTU Biomedical Instrumentation 7th Sem EC
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
Electronics & Communication Engg.
B. E. SEMESTER: VII
Subject Name: Biomedical Instrumentation (Department Elective – I)
Subject Code: 171006
1. Introduction to Biomedical Instrumentation:
The age of Biomedical Engineering, Development of Biomedical
Instrumentation, Biometrics, Introduction to the Man- instrument System,
Components of the Man- Instrument System, Physiological Systems of the Body.
2. Sources of Bioelectric Potentials:
Action and Resting Potential, Propagation of Action Potential, The
3. Basic Transducers principles:
The Transducer and Transduction Principles, Active Transducer, Passive
Transducers, Transducers for Biomedical Application.
Electrode Theory, Biopotential Electrode, Biochemical Transducer.
5. The Cardiovascular System:
The Heart and Cardiovascular System, The Heart, Blood Pressure,
Characteristic of Blood Flow, Heart Sounds.
6. Cardiovascular Measurement:
Electrocardiography, Blood Pressure, Blood Flow and Cardiac Output,
Plethysmography, Heart Sounds, Echocardiography , Colour Doppler
7. Bio Medical Equipment :
ECG, EMG, EEG, Pace Maker, Defibrillator, Heart lung Machine, Dialysis,
Diathermy Unit for surgery and therapy, LASER in Surgery, Equipment in
Intensive Care Unit, Robotic Surgical Equipments, Invasive Medical
8. Medical Imaging :
Principle Of Radiation, Components Of X-Ray System, Principle Of CT
Scan, USG, MRI, PET Scan.
Introduction to Biotelemetry, Physiological parameters adaptable to
Biotelemetry, The Components of a Biotelemetry System, Implantable
Units, Application of Telemetry in Patient Care.
10. Electrical Hazards & Patient safety in Bio-medical equipments:
Significance of Electrical Danger, Physiological Effect of Electrical Current,
Ground Shock, Hazards and Methods of Accident Prevention.
11. Patient Monitoring system:
Heart Rate Measurement, Pulse Rate Measurement, Respiration Rate
Measurement, Blood Pressure Measurement, Microprocessor Applications
in Patient Monitoring.
1. Biomedical Instrumentation And Measurements- By Leslie Cromwell
2. Human Physiology: The Mechanism Of Function By Vander, Sherman
3. Medical Instrumentation By John. G. Webster –John Wiley
4. Introduction To Biomedical Equipment Technology- By Carr & Brown
5. Handbook Of Biomedical Instrumentation By R. S. Khandpur
6. Biomedical Instrumentation By Dr. M. Arumugam, Anuradha
To download engineering ebooks, medical ebooks, management ebooks, free ebooks please visit www.kopykitab.com