CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (C G)
Semester: B.E. VII Sem. Branch: Mechanical Engg.
Subject: Quality Control & Total Quality Management
Basic Concept of Quality
Quality and quality control, concept of quality, quality characteristics, Quality of design and quality of conformance,
History of quality control, Quality policy and objectives, Economics of quality.
Statistical Concept of Variation
Concept of variation frequency distribution, continuous and discrete, probability distributions viz. Normal,
Exponential and weibull distribution, pattern of variation, significance tests, Analysis of variance, statistical aids in
limits and tolerances.
Concept, advantages, field complaints, quality rating, quality audit, inspection planning, quality mindness, quality
budget, vendor quality rating (VQR), vendor rating (VR), manufacturing planning for quality, Quality function
Statistical Quality Control
Objectives, Growth and applications of S.Q.C.,S.O.C, Techniques in manufacturing planning. Process capability
analysis, Control charts for variables and attributes and their analysis, process capability, concept of six sigma.
Fundamental concept in acceptance sampling, operating characteristics curve. Acceptance plans, single, double
and introduction of multiple plans, LTPD, AOQL, AOQ.
UNIT -I V
Total Quality Management
Total Quality Control (TQC), Concept of Total Quality Management (TQM), TQM philosophies, Deming approach to
TQM, Juran ten steps to Quality Management, Taguchi Philosophy, Crosby fourteen steps, TQM models, Tools and
techniques of TQM,
Quality system, need for quality system, ISO 9000 Quality Managmeent Standards, ISO 9000:2000 requirement,
Quality Auditing, ISO 14000, Benefits of ISO 14000.
1. Quality Planning and Analysis by Juran J.M. and Gryana FM. – McGraw Hill, New York
2. Statistical Quality Cntrol – R.C. Gupta – Khanna Publishers, Delhi
3. Statistical quality control – E. L. Grant and R. S. Leavenworth – Mc. Graw Hill, New York
4. Engineering Statistics and quality control – I. W. Burr, Mc. Graw Hill, New York
5. Managing for Total quality from Deming to Tguchi and SPC. – Logothetis – Prentice Hall of India
6. Statistical Quality Control – M. Mahajan – Dhanpat Rai & Company – New Delhi