Sathyabama University Question Papers
Power system Analysis BE Fifth Sem
Answer ALL the Questions
1. Write equation for converting the p.u impedance expressed in one
base to other base.
2. Define steady state stability limit.
3. Explain bus classification in power flow analysis with their
known and known quantities.
4. What is the need for acceleration factor?
5. Write equations to determine sequence components for
unbalanced system of currents.
6. Draw the equivalent sequence network diagram for a single phase
to ground fault in a power system.
7. Write the swing – equation and explain the term involved in it.
8. State equal area criterion.
9. Define load factor and plant capacity factor.
10. Draw the incremental fuel rate curve for thermal power stations
and how to draw the incremental fuel cost from it.
PART – B (5 x 12 = 60)
Answer All the Questions
11. (a) List out the advantages of per unit computations. (2)
(b) The reactance of a generator is designated X” is given as 0.2
per unit based on the generator’s name plate rating of 20 KV, 500
MVA. Find X” on the new base of 22 KV, 100 MVA. (4)
(c) A single – phase transformer is rated 110/440 V, 2.5 KVA.
Leakage reactance measured from the low-voltage side is 0.06W.
Determine leakage reactance in per unit.
12. Draw the reactance diagram using a base of 100 MVa, 220 KVin
50 ohm line.
Generator: 40 MVA, 25 KV, X” = 20%
Motor : 50 MVA, 11 KV, X” = 20%
Star – Star transformer: 40 MVA, 33/220 KV, X = 15%
Star – Delta transformer: 30 MVa, 11/220 KV, X = 15%
13. Derive load flow algorithm using Gauss – Seidal method with
14. Explain the step by step computational procedure for the Newton
– Raphson method of load flow studies.
15. Develop the sequence network for a double line to ground (LLG)
16. A 15 MVa, 6.9KV, generator unloaded star connected, has +ve,
-ve zero-sequence reactance of 25%, 25% and 8% respectively. A
reactor with 6% reactance based on the rating of the generator is
placed in line from neutral to ground. A line to line fault occurs at
terminals of the generator when it is operating at rated voltage
and disconnected from the system. Find the initial symmetrical
rms line and ground wire currents and line to neutral voltages, if
the fault does not involve ground.
17. Derive Expression for critical clearing angle.
18. Write the computation algorithm for obtaining swing curves
using modified Euler’s method.
19. Describe the computer approach to economic load dispatch with
20. The fuel cost characteristics of two generators are obtained as
under. F1 = 1000 + 50P1 + 0.01 P1
F2 = 2500 + 45P2 + 0.005 P2
If the total load to be supplied is 1000 MW, find optimal load
division between two generators.