Sathyabama University Question Papers BE
Special Electrical Machines Fifth Sem
1. State the principle of vernier motor.
2. Define reluctance torque.
3. State any two advantages of variable reluctance motor.
4. Draw the block diagram of stepper motor.
5. List the two differences between a stepper motor and switched
6. Write the torque equation of switched reluctance motor.
7. Name the position sensors that are used for PMBLDC motor.
8. Why the PMBLDC motor is called electronically commutated
9. How a permanent magnet synchronous motor is started?
10. What is meant by field oriented control of PM synchronous
PART – B (5 x 12 = 60)
Answer All the Questions
11. Draw and discuss the torque – speed characteristics of single
phase synchronous reluctance motor.
12. Explain in detail the construction and principle of operation of
13. A stepper motor has a step angle of 2.5°. Find resolution, number
of steps required for the shaft to make 25 revolutions and shaft
speed if stepping frequency is 3600 pulse/sec.
14. A single stack 3-phase variable reluctance motor has a stepping
angle of 15°. Find the number of its stator and rotor poles.
15. A switched reluctance motor with six stator poles and four rotor
poles has stator pole arc of 30° and rotor pole arc of 32°. The
aligned inductance is 10.7 mH and unaligned inductance is 1.5
mH. Saturation can be neglected. Calculate the instantaneous
torque when the rotor is 30° before the aligned position and the
phase current is 7 A.
16. Derive the torque equation and develop the mechanical
characteristics of switched reluctance motor.
17. A 3-phase four pole brushless PM motor has 36 stator slots. Each
phase winding is made up of three coils per pole with 20 turns
per coil. The coil span is seven slots. If the fundamental
component of magnet flux is 1.8 mwb, calculate the open circuit
phase emf Eg at 3000 rpm.
18. Derive an expression for permeance coefficient (PC) for
PMBLDC motor interms of magnet permeance Pms, rotor leakage
per phase Prl and air gap reluctance Rg.
19. Explain the principle of operation of a sine wave PM
synchronous machine. Draw its phasor diagram and derive its
20. Discuss PMBLDC and PM synchronous motor with respect to
torque / ampere and kVA of converter / kW of power to motor
for 4-pole, 3-phase motor system.