RTM Nagpur University BE 1st SEM Engineering Chemistry Syllabus
RTM Nagpur University BE 1st SEM
Engineering Chemistry Syllabus
Unit – I: Water Technology (12 Hrs)
Hardness of water and types of hardness Domestic water treatment: Brief discussion of coagulation and sterilization using UV. Ozone, chlorine, Break point chlorination.
Softening of water-principle, reactions, advantages, limitations and Comparison of – Lime-Soda process, Zeolite process, and de-mineralization process. Boiler Troubles-(causes, effect on boiler operation and methods of prevention) – Carry over-priming and foaming; Scales and sludges, caustic embrittlement, boiler corrosion; internal conditioning-phosphate, carbonate, calgon conditioning. Numericals based on lime-soda and Zeolite process. Desalination-using electro dialysis and reverse osmosis processes. Waste water treatment (introduction and importance) – Brief idea about tertiary treatment methods.
Unit – II: Corrosion Science (10 Hrs)
Introduction, Causes and Consequence of corrosion, brief idea about electrochemical & galvanic series, Factors influencing corrosion) Nature of metal b) Nature of environment, Chemical and electrochemical corrosion, Mechanisms of electrochemical corrosion; Pilling Bed worth rule; Differential aeration theory of corrosion.
Types of Corrosion – Pitting, inter granular, stress, waterline and galvanic corrosion.
Corrosion Prevention – a) Design and material selection b) Cathodic and anodic protection, c) Protective surface coatings- tinning, galvanizing and powder coating, metal cladding and electroplating.
Unit – III: Construction Materials (08 Hrs)
Cement: Portland cement – Raw material, Dry and wet process of manufacture, Proportion and role of microscopic constituents, Additives of cement ,Setting and hardening of cement; heat of hydration, soundness; Types of cement ( characteristics & applications ) – White, High alumina, Low heat ,Rapid hardening cement, Ready Mix Concrete, fly ash as cementing material( properties, advantages, limitations & application)
Unit – IV: Green Chemistry and Battery Technology (10 Hrs)
Green Chemistry: Introduction, Principles and significance, industrial application (supercritical fluids as Solvents, Example-super critical CO2 ), Biocatalysis and concept of carbon credits.
Battery Technology: Types of batteries, primary, secondary and reverse batteries, important definition-energy density, power density.
a) Secondary Battery: Lithium ion, Nickel-Cadmium b) Fuel cell application, advantages and limitation (Example: Alkaline fuel Cell).
1. Text Book of Engineering Chemistry: S.S. Dara, S. Chand and Company Ltd. New Delhi.
2. Engineering Chemistry: Arty Dixit Dr. Kirtiwardhan Dixit, Harivansh Prakashan, Chandrapur.
3. Textbook of Engineering Chemistry: P.C. Jain and Monica Jain, Dhanpat Rai and Sons, New Delhi.
4. Textbook of Engineering Chemistry: S.N. Narkhede, R.T. Jadhav, AB. Bhake, A.U. Zadgaonkar, Das Ganu Prakashan, Nagpur.
5. Applied Chemistry: A.V. Bharati and Walekar, Tech Max Publications, Pune.
1. A Text book of Engineering Chemistry : Shashi Chawla; Dhanpat Rai & Sons, New Delhi.
2. A textbook of Polymer Science : Fred, Billmeyer Jr. ,Wiley India Third edition.
3. Applied Chemistry by N. Krishnamurthy:P. Vallinavagam. And K. Jeysubramanian TMH
4. Applied Chemistry for Engineers : T.S. Gyngell.
5. Chemistry of Advanced Materials : CNR Rao, Rsc Publication.
6. Chemistry of Engineering Materials: Robert B Leighou Mc Graw – Hill Book Company, Inc New York
7. Engineering Materials: Kenneth G Budinski (Prentice – Hall of India)
8. Fuels and Combustion by Amir Circar, Orient Longmans
9. Fundamentals of Engineering Chemistry (Theory and Practice) :S. K. Singh (New Age Materials
10. Materials Science and Engineering an Introduction, William D. Callister, (Jr. Wiley publisher).
11. Fundamentals of Corrosion : Michael Henthorne, Chemical Engineering.
12. Water Treatment : F. I. Bilane, Mir publisher