RGTU Question Papers
Material Science And Engineering Materials BE IV Sem June 2008
Note: Attempt any five questions. All question carry equal marks.
1. (a) Name the various method of making Iron and steel and explain any one process with neat sketch.
(b) Write down the specific application of different types of Iron and steel.
2. (a) Explain crystal system arrangement of atoms in BCC, FCC and HCP crystal giving example.
(b) A F.C.C. crystal has an atomic produce of 1.246 . What are the d200, d220 and d111 spacing?
3. (a) Explain the dislocation theory of plastic deformation
(b) Derive an equation for the calculation of critical resolved stress for a signal crystal
4. (a) Explain the difference between hot and cold working of metals also explain the effect of cold
Working on the mechanical properties of the metals.
(b) What are the cases of fracture of metals?
5. (a) Explain Hume –Rothery’s rules for solid solution.
(b) Explain iron –carbon equilibrium diagram.
6. (a) What is heat treatment process and its objectives ?
(b) What are different types of heat treatment process and their specific application?
7. (a) Explain the properties of non-ferrous matals and alloys .
(b) Write a brief note on plastics, Composites and ceramics.
8. Write short notes on any two of the following :
(a) Properties and types of refactories
(b) Bonds in solid
© Point and line defects in crystals
(d) Phase rule and lever rule
(e) Plastic molding Technology