B.E. 401 – ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS III
Functions of complex variables : Analytic functions, Harmonic Conjugate, Cauchy-Riemann Equations, Line Integral, Cauchy’s Theorem, Cauchy’s Integral Formula, Singular Points, Poles & Residues, Residue Theorem , Application of Residues theorem for evaluation of real integrals
Errors & Approximations, Solution of Algebraic & Trancedental Equations (Regula Falsi , Newton-Raphson, Iterative, Secant Method), Solution of simultaneous linear equatins by Gauss Elimination, Gauss Jordan, Crout’s methods , Jacobi’s and Gauss-Siedel Iterative methods
Difference Operators, Interpolation ( Newton Forward & Backward Formulae, Central Interpolation Formulae, Lagrange’s and divided difference formulae ), Numerical Differentiation and Numerical Integration.
Solution of Ordinary Differential Equations(Taylor’s Series, Picard’s Method, Modified Euler’s Method, Runge-Kutta Method, Milne’s Predictor & Corrector method ), Correlation and Regression, Curve Fitting (Method of Least Square).
Concept of Probability : Probability Mass function, Probability density function. Discrete Distribution: Binomial, Poisson’s, Continuous Distribution: Normal Distribution, Exponential Distribution ,Gamma Distribution ,Beta Distribution ,Testing of Hypothesis |:Students t-test, Fisher’s z-test, Chi-Square Method
(i) Numerical Methods using Matlab by J.H.Mathews and K.D.Fink, P.H.I.
(ii) Numerical Methods for Scientific and Engg. Computation by MKJain, Iyengar and RK Jain, New Age International Publication
(iii) Mathematical Methods by KV Suryanarayan Rao, SCITECH Publuication
(iv) Numerical Methods using Matlab by Yang,Wiley India
(v) Pobability and Statistics by Ravichandran ,Wiley India
(vi) Mathematical Statistics by George R., Springer
Introduction Classification, properties, grades, advantage & disadvantages of concrete, Ingredients of concrete, types of cement, aggregates, water, admixtures, Inspection & testing of materials as per Indian Standard Specifications.
Properties of Fresh and Hardened Concrete : Introduction, Workability, Testing of concrete, Factors affecting, Rheology of concrete, Compressive & Tensile strength, Stress and strain characteristics, Shrinkage and temperature effects. Creep of concrete, Permeability, durability, thermal properties & micro-cracking of concrete.
Design of Concrete Mix : Various classical methods of concrete mix design, I.S. code method, basic considerations and factors influencing the choice of mix design, acceptance criteria for concrete, concrete mixes with Surkhi and other Pozzolanic materials, design of plastic concrete mix, computer aided design of concrete mix.
Production and Quality Control of Concrete : Production of crushed stone aggregate, batching equipments for production and concreting, curing at different temperatures, Concreting underwater, hot & cold weather condition, statistical quality control, field control, non-distructive testing, repair technology for concrete structures, Inspection & Testing of Concrete.
Special Concretes : Light weight concrete, Ready mix concrete, Vacuum concrete, Ferrocement, Fiber reinforced concrete, Polymer concrete composites, Shotcrete, Guniting, Rubble concrete, Resin concrete, Prestressed concrete, Heat resistant concrete, Mass concrete, Temperature control of mass concrete.
1. Varshney RS; Concrete Technology; Oxfored & IBH publishing co.
2. Gambhir ML; Concrete Technology – TMH
3. Sinha SN; Reinforced Concrete Technology; TMH
4. New Building Materials Published by B.M.T.P.C., New Delhi
5. Hand books on Materials & Technology – Published by BMTPC & HUDCO
6. Mohan Rai & M.P. Jai Singh; Advances in Building Materials & Construction
7. Jackson N; Civil Engineering materials. 8. Properties of Concrete – A.M. Neville – Pearson Education
Traversing by theodolite, Field work checks, traverse computations, latitude and departures, adjustments, computations of co-ordinates, plotting & adjusting or traverse, Omitted measurements, Measurement EDM, Trigonometrical leveling.
Tachometry: Tachometric systems and principles, stadia system, uses of anallatic lens, tangential system, sublense system, instrument constant, field work reduction, direct-reading tacheometers, use of tacheometry for traversing and contouring.
Curves: Classification and use; elements of circular curves, calculations, setting out curves by offsets and by theodolites, compound curves, reverse curves, transition curves, cubic spiral and lemniscate, vertical curves, setting out.
Control Surveys: Providing frame work of control points, triangulation principle, co naissance, selection and marking of stations, angle measurements and corrections, baseline measurement and corrections, computation of sides, precise traversing.
Hydrographic Surveying: Soundings, methods of observations, computations and plotting. Principles of photographic surveying: aerial photography, tilt and height distortions, Remote sensing, simple equipments, elements of image interpretation, image-processing systems.
1. T.P. Kanetkar, Surveying & Levelling, Vol. I & II.
2. Duggal; Surveying vol I and II; TMH
3. Basak; Surveying and Leveling; TMH
4. R.E.Devis, Surveying theory & Practice, Mc.Graw Hill, New York
5. David Clark & J Clendinning, Plane & Geodetic surveying Vol. I & II, constable & Co. London.
6. S.K. Roy, Fundamentals of surveying, prentice – Hall of India New Delhi
7. B.C. Punmia, Surveying Vol. I, II, III, Laxmi Publications New Delhi 8. K.R. Arora, Surveyhing Vol. I & II, standard book House, New Delhi
List of Experiments/ Field work (Expandable):
1. Theodolite traversing
2. Profile leveling, contouring & cross sectioning
3. Determination of tachometric constants & uses of tachometer in various field works
4. Curve setting by different methods.
Construction Materials & Techniques
A) Construction Materials:
Stones : Occurrence, varieties, Characteristics and their testing, uses, quarring and dressing of stones. Timber : Important timbers, their engineering properties and uses, defects in timber, seasoning and treatment, need for wood substitutes, Alternate materials for shuttering doors/windows, Partitions and structural members etc. Brick and Tiles: Manufacturing , characteristics, Classification and uses, Improved brick from inferior soils, Hand molding brick table, Clay-fly ash brick table, Flooring tiles and other tiles and their characteristics.
Advance Construction Materials : Use of fly ash in mortars, concrete, Fly ash bricks, stabilized mud blocks, non-erodible mud plinth, D.P.C. materials, Building materials made by Industrial & agricultural waste, clay products P.V.C. materials, advance materials for flooring, doors & windows, facia material, interiors materials for plumbing, sanitation & electrification.
(B) Construction Techniques:
Foundation: Type of soils, bearing capacity, soil slablisation and improvement of bearing capacity, settlement and safe limits. Spread foundations, wall footings, grillage, foundations well foundation, causes of failure and remedial measures; under reamed piles, foundation on shrinkable soils, black cotton soil, timbering for trenches, dewatering of foundations. Hyperbolic parabolied footing, Brick arch foundation. Simple methods of foundation design, Damp proof courses, Repairs Techniques for foundations.
Masonry and Walls : Brick masonry, Bonds, Jointing, Stone masonry, casting and laying, masonry construction, Brick cavity walls, code provisions regarding load bearing and non load bearing walls. Common defects in construction and their effect on strength and performance of walls, designed Brick masonry, precast stone masonry block, Hollow concrete block, plastering and pointing, white and color washing, distempering, dampness and its protection, Design of hollow block masonry walls. Doors, Windows and Ventilators: Types based on material etc., size location, fittings, construction sunshades, sills and jambs, RCC doors/windows frames. Stairs types, rule of proportionality etc., Repairs techniques for masonry, walls, doors & windows.
Floors and Roofs : Types, minimum thickness, construction, floor finishes, Flat roofs, RCC jack arch, reinforced brick concrete, solid slab and timber roofs, pitched roofs, false ceiling, roof coverings, Channel unit, cored unit, Waffle unit, Plank and Joist, Brick panel, L-Panel, Ferrocement roofing units, water proofing .Services : Water supply & Drainage, Electrification, Fire protection, thermal insulation, Air Conditioning, Acoustics & Sound insulation, Repairs to damaged & cracked buildings, techniques and materials for low cost housing., Repairs techniques for floors & roofs.
1. Mohan Rai & M.P. Jai Singh; Advance in Building Materials & Construction,.
2. S.C. Rangwala; Engineering Materials
3. Sushil Kumar; Building Construction,
4. B.C. Punmia; Building Construction ,.
5. Building Construction, Metchell
6. Construction Technology, Chudley R.
7. Civil Engineering Materials, N. Jackson.
8. Engineering Materials, Surendra Singh.
List of Experiments:
1. Tests on Bricks
2. Tests on Aggregates
3. Tests on Cement
4. Determination of compressive strength of concrete with different cement grades.
5. Determination of workability of concrete by slump test
6. Determination of workability by compacting factor apparatus.
7. Determination of workability by Vee Bee consistometer.
8. Nondestructive testing of concrete by Rebound hammer test
9. Nondestructive testing of concrete by ultrasonic Method.
10. Test for the effect of admixtures on the concrete compressive strength
11. Testing of microconcrete 12. Design of concrete mix.
Review of Fluid Properties: Engineering units of measurement, mass, density, specific weight, specific volume, specific gravity, surface tension, capillarity, viscosity, bulk modulus of elasticity, pressure and vapor pressure. Fluid Static’s : Pressure at a point, pressure variation in static fluid, Absolute and gauge pressure, manometers, Forces on plane and curved surfaces (Problems on gravity dams and Tainter gates); buoyant force, Stability of floating and submerged bodies, Relative equilibrium.
Kinematics of Flow : Types of flow-ideal & real , steady & unsteady, uniform & nonuniform, one, two and three dimensional flow, path lines, streaklines, streamlines and stream tubes; continuity equation for one and three dimensional flow, rotational & irrotational flow, circulation, stagnation point, separation of flow, sources & sinks, velocity potential, stream function, flow nets- their utility & method of drawing flow nets.
Dynamics of Flow: Euler’s equation of motion along a streamline and derivation of Bernoulli’s equation, application of Bernoulli’s equation, energy correction factor, linear momentum equation for steady flow; momentum correction factor. The moment of momentum equation, forces on fixed and moving vanes and other applications. Fluid Measurements: Velocity measurement (Pitot tube, Prandtl tube, current meters etc.); flow measurement (orifices, nozzles, mouth pieces, orifice meter, nozzle meter, venturimeter, weirs and notches).
Dimensional Analysis and Dynamic Similitude: Dimensional analysis, dimensional homogeneity, use of Buckingham-pi theorem, calculation of dimensionless numbers, similarity laws, specific model investigations (submerged bodies, partially submerged bodies, weirs, spillways, rotodynamic machines etc.)
Laminar Flow: Introduction to laminar & turbulent flow, Reynolds experiment & Reynolds number, relation between shear & pressure gradient, laminar flow through circular pipes, laminar flow between parallel plates, laminar flow through porous media, Stokes law, lubrication principles.
1. Modi & Seth; Fluid Mechanics; Standard Book House, Delhi
2. Som and Biswas; Fluid Mechnics and machinery; TMH
3. Cengal; Fluid Mechanics; TMH
4. White ; Fluid Mechanics ; TMH
5. Essential of Engg Hyd. By JNIK DAKE; Afrikan Network & Sc Instt. (ANSTI)
6. A Text Book of fluid Mech. for Engg. Student by Franiss JRD
7. R Mohanty; Fluid Mechanics By; PHI 8. Fluid Mechanics; Gupta Pearson.
List of Experiment (Expandable):
1. To determine the local point pressure with the help of pitot tube.
2. To find out the terminal velocity of a spherical body in water.
3. Calibration of Venturimeter
4. Determination of Cc, Cv, Cd of Orifices
5. Calibration of Orifice Meter
6. Calibration of Nozzle meter and Mouth Piece
7. Reynolds experiment for demonstration of stream lines & turbulent flow
8. Determination of metacentric height
9. Determination of Friction Factor of a pipe
10. To study the characteristics of a centrifugal pump.
11. Verification of Impulse momentum principle.
Computer Programming -II
Introduction .NET framework, features of .Net framework, architecture and component of .Net, elements of .Net.
Basic Features Of C# Fundamentals, Classes and Objects, Inheritance and Polymorphism, Operator Overloading, Structures. Advanced Features Of C# Interfaces, Arrays, Indexers and Collections; Strings and Regular Expressions, Handling Exceptions, Delegates and Events.
Installing ASP.NET framework, overview of the ASP .net framework, overview of CLR, class library, overview of ASP.net control, understanding HTML controls, study of standard controls, validations controls, rich controls. Windows Forms: All about windows form, MDI form, creating windows applications, adding controls to forms, handling Events, and using various Tolls
Understanding and handling controls events, ADO.NET- Component object model, ODBC, OLEDB, and SQL connected mode, disconnected mode, dataset, data-reader Data base controls: Overview of data access data control, using grid view controls, using details view and frame view controls, ado .net data readers, SQL data source control, object data source control, site map data source.
XML: Introducing XML, Structure, and syntax of XML, document type definition (DTD), XML Schema, Document object model, Presenting and Handling XML. xml data source, using navigation controls, introduction of web parts, using java script, Web Services
1. C# for Programmers by Harvey Deitel, Paul Deitel, Pearson Education
2. Balagurusamy; Programming in C#; TMH
3. Web Commerce Technology Handbook by Daniel Minoli, Emma Minoli , TMH
4. Web Programming by Chris Bates, Wiley
5. XML Bible by Elliotte Rusty Harold ,
6. ASP .Net Complete Reference by McDonald, TMH.
7. ADO .Net Complete Reference by Odey, TMH
List of Experiments/ program (Expandable):
1. Working with call backs and delegates in C#
2. Code access security with C#.
3. Creating a COM+ component with C#.
4. Creating a Windows Service with C#
5. Interacting with a Windows Service with C#
6. Using Reflection in C#
7. Sending Mail and SMTP Mail and C#
8. Perform String Manipulation with the String Builder and String Classes and C#:
9. Using the System .Net Web Client to Retrieve or Upload Data with C#
10. Reading and Writing XML Documents with the XML Text-Reader/-Writer Class and C#
11. Working with Page using ASP .Net.
12. Working with Forms using ASP .Net
13. Data Sources access through ADO.Net, 14. Working with Data readers , Transactions 15. Creating Web Application.