RGPV Previous Year Question Papers BE
Database Management System 5th Dec 2009
Note: Attempt any five question . All question carry equal marks.
1. (a) What is DBMS ? List five significant differences between file processing system and DBMS .
(b) Construct an E-R diagram for a car insurance company whose customer own one or more cars each. Each cars associated with it zero to any number of recorded accidents.
2. (a) write down six major steps that you would take in setting upa database for particular enterprises
(b) Construct an E-R diagram for a hospital with a set of patients and set of medical docters. Associate wit each patient a log of the various test and examination conducted.
3. (a) Compare and construct the features hierarachical , network and relation data models. What business need led to the development of each of them ?
(b) What are integrity rules ? Explain the different codds rules .
4 (a) Describe the basic features of the relation data model. Discuss their advantages and disadvantages and importance to the end user and the designer .
(b) What are views ? How views and foreign keys are useful in RDBMS ? Explain with example .
5. Consider the following relational database :
Employee (person –name , street city)
Works (Person- name , company-name , salary)
Company (Company-name, city )
Manages (Person-name, manager name)
Give SQL DDL . Definition of this database.
Identify referential integrity constrains that should hold and include them in DDL definition and
solve the following queries in SQL :
(i) Find the name of all employees who works in SQL :
(ii) Find all employees who live In the city where compony for which they work is located .
(iii) Give all managers 20% raise .
(iv) Delete all types in ‘works ‘ relation for employee of ‘’first BC’’ .
(V) Find the company which has smallest payroll .
6. (a) What are various types of inner join operations ? Why theta join is required ? Explain by giving proper examples.
(b) Show how the following relational algebra operations are specified in tuple and domain relational calculates ?
(i) σs = C(R(A,B,C))
(ii) R(A,B,C) * S (S,D,E)
(iii) R(A,B) ÷ S(A)
(iv) R(A,B,C) – S (A,B,C)
(v) R(A,B,C) S (A,B,C)
7. (a) Explain what is meant by repetition of information and enabilty to represent information . Explain why each of these properties may indicate a bad relational design.
(b) Give an example of a relational schema R and a set of dependencies such that R is in BCNF , but is not in 4NF .
8. (a) Suppose that we decompose the schema R= (A,B,C,D,E) into :
Show that this decomposition is a lossless join decomposition if the following set F of functional dependcies holds :
A→ BC, CD→ E, B→ D,E → A.
(b) List the three design goals for relational database , explain why each is desirable .
9.(a) Database system implementation have paid much more attention to to the ACID properties than have file system implementation . Why might this be the case ?
(b) Explain how the following differ:
Fragmentation transparency . replication transparency and location transparency.
10. (a) Explain the disniction between the terms serial schedule and serialzable schedule.
(b) Discuss the relative advantages of centralized and distributed database.