RGPV Previous Question Papers BE 4th Semester
Computer System and Organization June 2011
(Comman for CS,EC&IT, Engg.)
Note: Attempt one question from each unit. All question carry equal marks.
1. (a) Draw the Von-Neumann model of a digital computer . Explain is various subsystem.
(b) Explain with the help of examples, the addressing modes of a basic computer
2. (a) Draw and explain architecture of 8085 microprocessor
(b) A computer uses a memory iunit5 with 265 k words of 32 bits each. A binary instruction code
is stored in one word of memory. The instruction has four parts: An indirect address, An
operation the register code part to specify one of 64 register and address part:
(i) How many bits are there on the operation code The register code part and the address part?
(ii) Draw the instruction words format and indicate the number of bits in each part.
(iii) How many bits are there in the data in address inpu5t of the memory?
3. (a) Explain the following terms .
(i) Microinstruction (ii) Microprogramming
(iii) Control address register (iv) Sequencer
(iv) Control memory
(b) Explain the concept of address sequencing. Also explain making of an instruction
4. (a) Write down the algorithm for addition and sub-traction with sign magnitude data . Also draw
the flow chart
(b) Draw and explain 2-bit by 2 bit array multiplier.
5. (a) Differentiate between the following
(i) Isolated and memory – mapped I/O
(ii) Synchronous and Asynchronous serial data transfer
(b) Explain polling and daisy changing methods for establishing priority interrupt.
6. (a) Explain the following modes of data transfer
(i) Program controlled
(ii) Interrupt driven
(iii) Direct memory access
(b) What is an IOP? Explain the process of communication between a CPU and IOP
7. (a) Draw and explain the memory hierarchy in a digital computer. What are the advantages of
cache memory over main memory?
(b) What is associative memory? Explain the concept of address space and memory space in virtual
8. Write short notes on any two of the following
(a) Mapping techniques of cache memory.
(b) Cache initialization and written into cache
© Types of RAM and ROM
(d) Memory management hardware
9. (a) Write down the Flynn’s classification of computer?
(b) What does pipeline , vector and array processor mean in parallel processing ?
10. (a) Draw and explain the pipeline for floating point addition and subtraction .
(b) Explain the operation of SIMD array processor.