RGPV Previous Question Papers BE 4th Semester
Computer System and Organization June 2006
(Mechanical Engg. Branch)
Note: Attempt any five questions.
1. (a) What are the bottlenecks in a Von-Neumann model? Explain how the mapping from an
Instruction code to a microinstruction address can be done by means of a read only memory .
(b) Explain the difference between hardwired control and microprogramed control. Is it possible to
have A hardwired control associate with a control memory ?
2. (a) What is the difference between a direct and unindirect address instruction? How many
reference to memory are needed foe each type of instruction to bring an open and into a
processor a register ? Give at least three example of each type.
(b) Elaborate the function of the following:
(i) Program counters
(ii) Instruction register
3. (a) Draw the timing diagram for an MVIA, 32 H instruction and explain instruction and machine
(b) Explain why each of the following micro-operation can not be executed during a single clock
DR ←DR+ AR
Also specify a sequence of micro-opretion that will perform the above opretion.
4. (a) Write an assembly language prograne to obtain the multiplection table of 12 using repetad
(b) Explain the use of te following instruction
(iv) MOV Reg,M
(v) PUSH D
5. (a) How is interrupt driven I/O better than programmed I/O ?Discuss completely how the
various singles are exchanged during I/O ?
(b) What are the basic difference between branch instructing , a call subroutine instruction
and program me interrupt ?
6. (a) What do you understand by the memory map ? for a 32 K memory obtain the memory
map to interface 16- bit processor .
(b) Describe multilevel memory. What is hit ratio? Obtain the expression for average a
access time in the three level memory .
7. Discuss memory management in detail . Explain demand paging and swapping.
8. Write explanatory notes on any four of the following –
(i) Parallel processing
(ii) Cache memory
(iii) I/O processer
(iv) instruction formats
(VII) System Bus