RGPV Previous Question Papers BE 4th Semester
Material Science and Engineering Material Dec-2008
(Mechanical Engineering Branch)
Note: Attempt any five questions. All question carry equal marks.
1.(a) State the Difference types of bonding in solids and their characteristics.
(b) Explain Difference type of Refractory’s and their Application.
2. (a) Illustrate the difference between unit cells of BCC,FCC and HCP with the help of sketches.
(b) Find the angle between the directions [1 2 3] and [1 1 1] in a cubic crystal.
3. (a) What are point, line and surface imperfection found in solid materials crystals ?
(b) Derive an equation for schmid’s law in term of schmid’s factor.
4. (a) Explain Annealing process of cold work end metal and variations in mechanical properties due to
(b) What the different type of fracture in metals?
5. Explain different type of phase diagrams depending upon the solubility characteristics of two
6. (a) Explain briefly different case hardening processes of heat treatment.
(b) Explain the principal of heat treatment of steel.
7. (a) What factors affect the fatigue life of any component ?
(b) What the composite? Explain the properties, different type and uses of composite.
8. Write short note on any two of the following:
(i) Manufacturing process of iron or steel.
(ii) Hume-Rothery‘s rules
(iii) Burger vector
(Iv) Iron carbon phase diagram
(v) TIT curves
(VI) Types of plastic
(vii) Elastomers and their application