RGPV Exams Question papers – B.E. (fourth semester) – Material science and engineering materials – June, 2010
B.E. (fourth semester) EXAMINATION, June, 2010
(Comman for AU,IM,IP&ME Engg. Branch)
(MATERIAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING MATERIALS)
Note: Answer all questions.
1.(a) Explain why covalently bonded materials are generally less dense then ionically or metallically
(b) Show that the atomic packing factor (volume of atoms/volume of unit cell) for FCC and BCC
Structures are 0.74 and 0.68 respectively.
2. (a) Classify the refectory materials. Give examples with their application.
(b) Explain working of Blast furnace with schematic diagram.
3.(a) Differential celery between the following :
(i) Point defect and line defect
(ii) Edge and screw dislocation
(b) What is hot and cold working? How they differ? Explain their effect on the propties of marital.
4. (a) Explain terms slips and twin . How dose slip occur? Explain slip direction and slip planes with
(b) Write short notes on the following:
(ii) Grain growth
5. (a) Draw the iron-carbon equilibrium diagram and explain it.
(b) Give explanation of Hume-Rothery’s rules
6. (a) Distinguish between the following :
(i) Intermediate phase and intermediate compound
(ii) Iron-cementile and iron-graphite phase diagram
(b) Write equation for the eutectoid and peritectoid invariant reaction. Explain the reactions.
7. (a) Draw T-T-T diagram for eutectoid steel and explain the effect of cooling rate on transformation
products and address obtained .
(b) Explain briefly he following :
(i) Nit riding (ii) Carburizing
8. (a) Define the term hardenabilty . What factors affects hardenabilty
(b) Explain briefly the following:
(i) Normalizing (ii) Flame hardening
9. (a) With a neat sketch , Explain the creep testing method for mettle
(b) Explain the objectives of preinterring and sintering
10. (a) Explain the advantages and disadvantages of using power metallurgy .
(b) Explain each type of steel with chemical composition. Properties and application.