B.E. (Third semester) EXAMINATION, JUNE, 2003
(Common for EC/EE/IP Engg.)
Note: Attempt any five questions. All question carry equal marks. Assume any data missing.
1. (a) Distinguish between Zenger breakdown and avalanche breakdown . Draw the characteristics of a
zener diode and explain zener breakdown.
(b) Consider a circuit consisting of a diode D, a resistance R and a signal source V1 in series . Define(i)
static characteristics (ii) dynamics characterics (iii) transfer characterics (iv) What is the correlation
between (ii) and (iii) ?
2.(a) In the circuit shown ahead determine wheatear or not the silicon transmitter is in saturation If the
hEE =100 .Find (i) IB and Ic (ii) Repeat with the 2 k emitter resistance added.
(b) Explain the working of enhancement model in a MOSFET with circuit symbol and characteristics .
3. (a) Draw a self-bias circuit . Explain qualitatively why such a circuit is an improvement on the fixed
bias as far as stability is concerned . How is load line drawn for a self bias circuit ?
(b) Define h-parameter of a transmission . Find the input and output resistance in CE configuration.
4. (a) Draw I circuit voltage series feedback amplifier. Derive the expression for the following :
(i) Voltage gain with feedback AVF
(ii) Output resistance with feedback Rof
(b) Sketch the circuit of Wien bridge oscillator . Explain its working Determine the frequency of
5. (a) Draw the circuit of bitable multavibrator . Explain its working with the help of wave forms.
(b) Draw bootstrapped Darlington circuit and explain how this increase the input the input resistance.
6. Explain the following with the aid of diagram :
(I) Integrator using OP-AMP
(ii) Instrumentation amplifier using OP-AMP
(iii) 555 timer in monostable mode
7. (a) Explain series and parallel connection of SCR .
(b) Explain VI characteristics of SCR in detail.
8. Write short notes on any two of the following :
(iii) Power amplifier
(iv) Schmitt trigger