Photonic Systems and Networks Syllabus for NIT Jalandhar
EC-458 Photonic Systems and Networks [3 0 0 3]
Introduction: Overview of the architectures and principles of optical systems and networks; Access networks; LANS, WANS & MANS; SONET, SDH and ATM
Components for Optical Networks: Fused fibre devices such as couplers, WDMs and WFCs; filters and WDMs such as interference filters Fabry Perot etalons and Bragg gratings; optical isolators; integrated optic modulators and switches; wavelength converters, Dispersion Compensating techniques
Optical Amplifiers (EDFAs and SOAs): Principles of operation; gain characteristics; wavelength
characteristics, cross talk and wavelength conversion; noise characteristics and noise figure; characteristics of amplifiers cascades. Design and Analysis of Optically Amplified links: Systems performance analysis and power budget analysis for BERs of 10-9 for optically Amplified links.
Design and Analysis of Common Optical Systems and Networks: Power budgets, issues of component specification and tolerances, PONs, BPONs, WDM systems, wavelength routing networks and all optically switched systems, Optical Fiber impairment issues like: higher order dispersion, fiber nonlinearities in optical systems and Networks, optical solitions.
Note: Design and analysis is to be learned practically using simulation tool OptSim or OptiSystem and Artifex.
1. Ramaswami R & Safarajan K, “Optical Networks: A Practical Perspective” 2nd Edition, Morgan
2. OptSim/OptiSystem Mannuals.
3. Abdellatif Marrakchi, ” Photonic Switching and Interconnects,” Marcel Dekker, November 1993.
4. Jean-Pierre Laude, ” DWDM Fundamentals, Components, and Applications,” Artech House,
5. Debra Cameron, ” Optical Networking,” Wiley, December 2001..