Optoelectronic Devices Syllabus for NIT Jalandhar
Introduction: Semiconductor materials; Crystal lattices; Bulk Crystal growth, epitaxial growth.
Energy bands and Charge carriers in Semiconductors: direct and indirect semiconductors; variation of Energy bands with alloy composition. Charge carriers in semi-conductors-electrons, holes, effective mass; intrinsic and extrinsic materials. Drift of carriers in electric and magnetic fields.
Excess carries in Semiconductors: Optical absorption; luminescence – photoluminescence,
electroluminescence ,electroluminescence. Carrier lifetime and photoconductivity, diffusion of carriers.
P-N Junction Diode: Current-Voltage Characteristics; hetrojunctions.
Optoelectronic Devices: Principle of operation and characteristics; Light emitting diodes, lasers, photo detectors, solar cells.
Relevance of III-V and IV-VI material-systems in optoelectronic devices.
Integrated Optics: Optical waveguides-passive, electro-optical; optical modulators and switches; optical storage devices.
Books Recommended –
1. Pallab Bhattacharya, “Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices”, 2nd Edition
2. Street B G and Banerjee S, “Solid State Electronic Devices”, PHI New Delhi, (2004)
3. Sze S M, “Physics of Semiconductors Devices”, Wiley Eastern Limited, New Delhi.
4. Wilson and Hawkes, “Optoelectronics; An Introduction”, 2nd Ed., PHI
5. Hummel R E, “Electronic Properties of Materials”, Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi.