NIT Srinagar Syllabus 3rd Sem Chemical
Mechanistic Organic Chemistry
Basic Concepts in Mechanistic Organic Chemistry
Electron displacement effects: Inductive, electromeric, mesomeric and hyper conjugative effects, and their applications. Tautomerism: Keto-enol, triad system and ring chain tautemerism. Stereoisomerism: Optical isomerism, configuration, chirality, R-S and D-L nomenclature. Geometrical Isomerism: Cis-trans and E-Z nomenclature. Bond Fission: Homolysis and heterolysis. Reaction Intermediates: Generation, fate and stability of carbonations, carbanions, free radicals, carbons.
Substitution and Addition Reactions
Substitution Reactions: Aliphatic nucleophilic substitution reactions, SN1 and SN2 mechanisms and their kinetics. Aromatic electrophilic substitution reactions, orientation in 2nd substitution. Halogenation, nitration, sulphonation, Fidel Crafts reactions, Roemer- Tiemann reactions.
Addition Reaction: Addition across carbon-carbon doublre bonds, examples halogenation and hydrohalogenation reactions (Markovnikov’s rule). Addition to carbon-oxygen double bonds, addition of cyanide ion, bisulphite ion and ammonia derivatives. Aldol condensation, Cannizaro’s reaction, Perkin’s reaction.
Elimination & Rearrangement Reaction
Mechanism of E1 & E2, stereospecificity and orientation in elimination reactions. Sytzev and Hoffman elimination. Rearrangement Reactions: Bechmann rearrangement, its stereospecificity and applications. Hoffmann Wolf and Wanger-Meerwein rearrangement.
Chemistry of Natural Products
Fats and Oils: Definition, occurrence, chemical nature, transesterification, autooxidation, hydrolysis, hydrogenation, hydrogenolysis, acid value, saponification value, iodine value, RM value.
Carbohydrates: Definition, classification, identification tests, Molisch test, Tollen’s test, Fehling’s test, Osazone formation.
- Peter, S. “A Guidebook To Mechanism In Organic Chemistry, 6th Edn.”, Longman, 1986.
- Knipe, A. C. and Watts, W.E. (Eds.), “Organic Reaction Mechanisms”, John Wiley & Sons Ltd.,2003.
- Jackson, R.A. “Mechanisms in Organic Reactions”, Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), UK, 2005.
- Jacobs, A. “Understanding Organic Reaction Mechanisms”, Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Ahulwalia, V.K. and Prashar, R.K. “Organic Reaction Mechanisms”, CRC Press, 2002.
- Smith, M.B. and March, J. “March’s Advanced Organic Chemistry: Reaction, Mechanisms and Structure”, Wiley Interscience, 2001.
- Handrickson, J.B., Gram, D.J., Hammond, G.S. “Organic Chemistry”, McGraw-Hill, 1970.