NIT Jamshedpur Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
NIT Jamshedpur Mechanical Engineering Syllabus PART II
TRANSFORMATION TECHNIQUES (3-0-0) 3
Fourier Series and Transforms – Complex form of Fourier series and transformations – Wave, Heat and
Laplace’s equations, 2D steady state heat flow equation – Analytic function – complex integration – Taylor’s
and Laurent’s series expansions – evaluation of real integrals, residue theorem, Bilinear transformations,
1. R. K. Jain and S. R. K. Iyengar, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 3rd Edition, Narosa Publishing
2. Erwyn Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 8th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
3. B.S.Grewal, Higher Engineering Mathematics, 41st Edition, Khanna Publications, 2010.
MM235 MATERIALS ENGINEERING (3-1-0) 4
Crystal Structures and imperfections, Dislocations, Solid solutions, Phase diagrams, Heat Treatment, Cast
irons, Effects of alloying elements on steels, Silicon Steels, Hadfield Manganese Steels, HSTS, Stainless
Steels, Study of alloys: brasses, bronzes, bearing alloys, aluminium alloys, elastic and plastic properties,
Hardness, tensile, impact, fatigue and creep properties.
1. R Balasubramaniam: Callister’s Materials Science and Engineering, 7th Edition, Wiley India (P) Ltd,
2. V Raghavan: Elements of Materials Science and Engineering – A First Course, 5th Edition, PHI Publications,
3. S H Avner: Introduction to Physical Metallurgy, McGraw-Hill, 1997.
ME201 THERMODYNAMICS (3-1-0) 4
Fundamental concepts and definitions, First law of thermodynamics, The perfect gas, Second law of
thermodynamics, Entropy, Third law of Thermodynamics, Availability and Irreversibility, Pure substances,
Non – reactive mixtures of gases and vapours, Air-standard cycles.
1. Nag P.K., Engineering Thermodynamics, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing House, New Delhi, 2003.
2. Vanwylen G.J., Sonntag R.E., Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics, Wiley Eastern, New Delhi,
3. Spalding D.B. and Cole E.H., Engineering Thermodynamics, Edward Arnold, London, 2000.
ME202 KINEMATICS OF MACHINERY (3-0-0) 3
Machines, mechanisms, inversions, velocity and acceleration analyses of planar mechanisms, Graphical
and analytical methods, kinematic synthesis, kinematics of toothed gears and gear trains, cams.
1. Shigley, J.E. and John Joseph Uicker, Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, 2nd Edition, McGraw Hill
International Editions, 2003.
2. Amitabha Ghosh and Ashok Kumar Mallik, Theory of Mechanisms and Machines, Affiliated East West
Press Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2000.
B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
CE235 FLUID MECHANICS AND HYDRAULIC MACHINES (3-1-0) 4
Fluid flow concepts – Transport theorem – Fluid kinematics – Potential flow – Governing equations of Fluid flow
– Dimensional Analysis – Viscous flow – Boundary Layer flows – Turbulence – Closed conduit flows –
Hydrodynamic lubrication – Free surface flow – Compressible flows, Hydraulic Turbines: Impulse and Reaction
Turbines – Centrifugal and Axial flow pumps.
1. Robert W. Fox, Philip J. Pritchard, Alan T. McDonald, Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, Wiley India Edition,
2. Franck.M White, Fluid Mechanics, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2011.
3. Shames, Mechanics of Fluids, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1988.
CE236 MECHANICS OF SOLIDS (3-1-0) 4
Statically determinate and indeterminate structures, Thermal Stresses, Elastic Constants, Thin and thick
cylinders and Spherical shells, Impact Loading, Strain Energy, Shear force and Bending Moment, Theory of
Simple Bending, Flexural shear, Torsion of Circular Shafts, Theories of failure, Springs, Deflection of Beams,
Principal Planes, Principal stresses and strains.
1. Gere and Timoshenko, Mechanics of Materials, CBS Publishers, 2011.
2. E.P. Popov, Engineering Mechanics of Solids, PHI, 2009.
3. S. B. Junaikar, Mechanics of Structures, Charotar Publishers, 2010.
CE237 FLUID MECHANICS AND HYDRAULIC MACHINES LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
Measurements of Discharge, Viscosity, laminar and turbulent flow through pipes, Determination of resistance
coefficients, Application of momentum equations, Subsonic flow past a Cylinder, Performance Tests of Pumps
1. K.L. Kumar. Engineering Fluid Mechanics, Experiments, Eurasia Publishing House, 1997.
2. Jagdish Lal, Hydraulic Machines, Metropolitan Book Co, Delhi, 1995.
CE238 MATERIAL TESTING LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
Study of Stress-Strain characteristics of Steel – Tension test – Compression Test – Strain measurement –
Ductility Tests – Shear Test – Hardness Tests – Torsion Test – Bending Test – Test on Spring.
MA285 NUMERICAL AND STATISTICAL METHODS (3-0-0) 3
Probability laws – Baye’s theorem – Discrete and continuous distributions – Testing of Hypothesis – Chi-square
test – Correlation, regression – Curve fitting – Gauss Seidal iteration method – interpolation – Numerical
differentiation and integration – Numerical solution of first order ODE.
1. S. C. Gupta and V. K. Kapoor, Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics, Sultan Chand & Sons, 2011.
2. M.K. Jain S.R.K. Iyengar and R.K.Jain, Numerical Methods for Scientific and Engineering Computation,
6th Edition, New Age International, 2012.
3. Erwyn Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 8th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
EC285 ELECTRONIC MEASUREMENT SYSTEMS (3-0-0) 3
Measurement, Instrumentation and calibration, Transducers, Signal Conditioning circuits, Feedback transducer
systems, Data acquisition, Display and Recording Systems.
1. D. V. S. Murty, Transducers and Instrumentation, PHI, 2008.
2. Arun K Ghosh, Introduction to Measurements and Instrumentation, PHI 2009.
3. H S Kalsi, Electronic Instrumentation, 3rd Edition. McGraw Hill Pub, 2011.
4. E.O. Doebelin, D N Manik, Measurement Systems, 5th Edition, TMH, 2007.
B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
ME251 TURBOMACHINES (3-1-0) 4
Fundamentals of turbomachines, ideal and actual gas turbine cycles for shaft power and propulsion, centrifugal
compressors, axial flow compressors, combustion chambers, axial flow turbines, ideal and actual cycles for
steam power plants, steam nozzles, steam turbines.
1. Ganesan, V., Gas Turbines 3rd Edition, Tata McGraw Hill Book Company, New Delhi, 2010.
2. Vasandani V.P. and Kumar, D.S., Treatise on Heat Engineering, Chand & Co Publishers, New Delhi, 2011.
3. Sarvanamuttoo, H.I.H., Rogers, G.F.C. and Cohen, H., Gas Turbine Theory, 6th Edition, Pearson Prentice
ME252 DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS – 1 (3-1-0) 4
Design process, problem formulation, factors of safety, failure theories, design of fasteners: bolted, riveted,
welded joints; design of joints for rods, shaft couplings.
1. Norton, R.L., Machine Design: An Integrated Approach, 2nd Edition, Pearson, 2004.
2. Shigley, J.E., and Mischke., C.R., Mechanical Engineering Design, 6th Edition, Tata McGraw Hill, 2003.
3. Bhandari, B., Design of Machine Elements, 3rd Edition, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2009.
ME253 MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY (4-0-0) 4
Foundry Technology, Melting furnaces, Special casting processes, Gating and riser design, Casting defects,
Arc welding, TIG, MIG, submerged arc, resistance welding, Gas welding, Flash butt welding, Solid state
welding, Welding metallurgy, Forming Technology, Powder metallurgy.
1. Ghosh, A., and Mallik, A.K., Manufacturing Science, Affiliated East West Press Pvt. Ltd., 2008.
2. Rao, P.N., Manufacturing Technology, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing House, 2010.
ME254 MACHINE DRAWING (2-0-3) 4
Development and Intersection of surfaces, Conventional representation of machine elements, materials, surface
finish and tolerances – Sectional views and additional views – Drawing of Screw threads, locking devices,
Fasteners, Keys and Cotters, Knuckle joints, Rivetted Joints, Shaft Couplings and Bearings – Pipe Joints,
Assembly and production drawings.
1. Bhatt, N.D., Machine Drawing, Charotar Publishing House, 2003.
2. Sidheswar, N., Kannaiah, P. and Sastry, V.V.S., Machine Drawing, Tata McGraw Hill Book Company, New
3. Kannaiah, P., Production Drawing, New Age International, 2009.
4. V. Lakshmi Narayana and M. L. Mathur, Text Book of Machine Drawing, M/s Jain Brothers, New Delhi,
ME255 MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
Gas welding, Arc Welding, Testing of weldments (Destructive and Non-destructive), Metallurgical studies of
weldments, CO2 moulding, Testing of moulding sand, Plastic injection moulding, Flux core arc welding.
EC286 BASIC ELECTRONICS LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
Study of components and Instruments – Characteristics of N-junction diode, Zener diode, BJT, JFET,
Applications of diode, Frequency response of RC Coupled BJT amplifier, RC Phase shift oscillator, OPAMP
as inverting and non-inverting amplifier, Verification of truth tables, Implementation of adder and subtractor
using IC 7400 NAND gate ICs.