NIT Jamshedpur Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
NIT Jamshedpur Mechanical Engineering Syllabus PART IV
MACHINING AND METROLOGY LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
Dismantling and assembly of lathe, Experiments on Lathe, Shaper, Drilling machine, Milling Machine,
Measurement of surface roughness, tool wear, Inspection of work pieces using Comparators, Thread
Measurement using Floating Carriage Diameter Measuring Machine, Straightness Measurement using Auto-
ME361 COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS (3-0-0) 3
Governing equations of fluid dynamics, mathematical behaviour of partial differential equations, problems
with various types of boundary conditions, Discretization, structured grid generation, grids with appropriate
transformation, parabolic, elliptic and hyperbolic partial differential equations, stability analysis, Numerical
solution of quasi one-dimensional nozzle flow.
1. Anderson, J.D. (Jr), Computational Fluid Dynamics, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 2001.
2. Hoffman, K.A., and Chiang, S.T., Computational Fluid Dynamics, Vol. I, II and III, Engineering Education
System, Kansas, USA, 2000.
3. Anderson, D.A., Tannehill, J.C., and Pletcher, R.H., Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer,
McGraw Hill Book Company, 2002.
ME362 AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING (3-0-0) 3
Introduction, power plant, fuel system, electrical system and other electrical fittings, lubricating system and
cooling systems, chassis and transmission, axles, clutches, propeller shafts and differential, Condition for
correct steering, steering gear mechanisms, automotive air conditioning, Tyres.
1. Crouse, W.H., and Anglin, D.L., Automotive Mechanics, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2005.
2. Heitner, J., Automotive Mechanics, Affiliated South West Press, New Delhi, 2000.
3. Narang, G.B., Automobile Engineering, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 2001.
ME368 MECHANICAL VIBRATIONS (3-0-0) 3
Review of single degree freedom systems, Complex frequency response, Rotating/Reciprocating unbalances,
Transmissibility, Vibration measuring devices. Two degree freedom systems, Dynamic Vibration Absorbers,
Multi degree freedom systems, Eigen value problems, model analysis, continuous systems: vibration strings,
bars and beams.
1. Lenord Meirovitch, Elements of Vibration Analysis, McGraw Hill Ltd. 2004.
2. Rao, S.S., Mechanical Vibrations, 4th Edition, Pearson Education, 2004.
3. Thomson, W.T., Theory of Vibrations with Applications, Prentice Hall of India, 1999.
ME369 DESIGN OF MECHANISMS (3-0-0) 3
Kinematic fundamentals, graphical systems, Grashoff’s condition, springs as links, graphical linkage synthesis,
quick return motion, coupler curves, straight line mechanisms, dwell mechanisms, position analysis, and
analytical linkage synthesis.
1. Robert L. Norton, Design of Machinery, McGraw Hill International Edition, New York, 2006.
2. Hamilton H. Mabie and Fred L. Ocvirk, Mechanisms and Dynamics of Machinery, John Wiley & Sons,
New York, 2000.
ME375 ADVANCED METAL FORMING (3-0-0) 3
Mechanics of metal working, Flow stress determination, Effect of temperature, strain rate and metallurgical
structures, Advanced techniques of Sheet Metal Forming, Forming limit criteria, Defects, Conventional Vs
High velocity forming methods – Material behaviour – stress waves and deformation in solids – Stress wave
induced fractures – Case studies.
B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
1. Surender Kumar, Technology of Metal Forming Processes, Prentice- Hall, Inc., 2008.
2. Henry S. Valberg, Applied Metal Forming – Including FEM Analysis, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
ME376 MACHINE TOOL DESIGN (3-0-0) 3
Method of production of surfaces by principal and auxiliary motions in machine tools, Transmission of motion
in machine tools, Machine tool drives, General requirements in machine tool design, Design for strength and
rigidity, Design of speed and feed gear drives, Design of machine tool structures, Design of Guideways,
Spindles and spindle supports.
1. N.K. Mehta, Machine Tool Design and Numerical Control, TMH, New Delhi, 2010.
2. G.C. Sen and A. Bhattacharya, Principles of Machine Tools, New Central Book Agency, Kolkata, 2009.
ME382 PRODUCTION PLANNING AND CONTROL (3-0-0) 3
Forecasting; Aggregate Planning; Materials Requirement Planning; sequencing and scheduling; Just-in-Time
Production Systems, introduction to theory of constraints.
1. Krajewski L.J. and Ritzmen L.P., Operations Management: Strategy and Analysis, 9th Edition, Pearson
2. Chase, R.B., Jacobs, F.R. and Aquilano, N.J., Operations Management for Competitive Advantage, 11th
Edition, Tata McGraw Hill Book Company, New Delhi, 2010.
ME383 DESIGN AND ANALYSIS OF EXPERIMENTS (3-0-0) 3
Fundamental of Experimentation, Simple comparative experiments, Experiments with single factor, ANOVA,
Factorial and Fractional Factorial experiments, Orthogonal Arrays, Response Surface Methodology, and
Taguchi’s Parameter Design.
1. Ross P.J., Taguchi Techniques for Quality Engineering, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 2008.
2. Montgomery D.C., Design and Analysis of Experiments, 7th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2008.
ME401 REFRIGERATION AND AIR-CONDITIONING (3-0-0) 3
Introduction, vapour compression refrigeration, multi pressure systems, refrigerants, absorption refrigeration
systems, Psychrometry of air-conditioning processes, cooling load calculations, air-conditioning systems,
refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, trouble shooting.
1. Arora, C. P., Refrigeration and Air-conditioning, 3rd Edition, Tata McGraw Hill Publications, New Delhi,
2. Roy, J. Dossat, Principles of Refrigeration, 4th Edition, Pearson. 2010.
3. Stoecker and Jones, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning, Tata McGraw Hill Publications, New Delhi, 2008.
ME402 CAD / CAM (3-1-0) 4
Geometric Modelling: Curves, Surfaces and solids, Data Exchange Formats, Computer Aided Engineering,
Rapid Prototyping Processes, CNC machines and programming, Robots, Group Technology, Computer Aided
Process Planning, Flexible Manufacturing Systems and Computer Integrated Manufacturing.
1. Ibrahim Zeid and Sivasubramanian, R., CAD/CAM Theory and Practice, Tata McGraw Hill Publications,
New Delhi, 2009.
2. Yoram Koren, Computer Control of Manufacturing Systems, McGraw Hill Student edition, 2005.
3. Rao, P.N., CAD / CAM Principles and Applications, McGraw Hill Publishers, New Delhi, 2010.
B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
ME403 CAD / CAM LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
Open GL programs, Solid modeling and Script files, CNC programming using ProE and SINUTRAIN, Training
on Denford, Heidenhain, Fanuc Desktop Tutors, Training on FDM machine for Rapid Prototyping.
ME411 NON-CONVENTIONAL ENERGY SOURCES (3-0-0) 3
Introduction, solar energy, basic sun-earth relationships, coordinates of the sun, solar radiation measurement
and prediction, solar thermal devices, photovoltaic power, fuel cells, wind energy, hydrogen energy, other
forms of energy, nuclear, biomass, ocean and geothermal energy.
1. Sukhatme S.P. and J.K.Nayak, Solar Energy – Principles of Thermal Collection and Storage, Tata McGraw
Hill, New Delhi, 2008.
2. Khan B.H., Non-Conventional Energy Resources, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2006.
3. J.A. Duffie and W.A. Beckman, Solar Energy – Thermal Processes, John Wiley, 2001.
ME412 CONVECTIVE HEAT TRANSFER (3-0-0) 3
Fundamental principles, Laminar forced convection in external flows, Laminar forced convection in duct flows,
External natural convection, Internal natural convection, Turbulent boundary layer flow, Turbulent duct flow,
Mixed convection, Conjugate mixed convection, Applications of Conjugate Mixed Convection.
1. Bejan, A., Convection Heat Transfer, John Willey and Sons, New York, 2001.
2. Louis, C. Burmeister, Convective Heat Transfer, John Willey and Sons, New York, 2003.
3. Kays, W.M. and Crawford, M. E., Convective Heat and Mass Transfer, McGraw Hill, New York, 2001.
ME413 ADVANCED I. C. ENGINES (3-0-0) 3
Modern trends in CI and SI engines, Variable Compression Ratio (VCR) Engine, MPFI Engine, Electronic
Engine Management, Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine, Gasoline Direct Injection Engine, Emissions
formation, Electronic controls for engine, Alternate Fuels.
1. Ganesan V., Internal Combustion Engines, 3rd Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2007.
2. John Heywood, Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw Hill, 2002.
ME418 ENGINEERING ACOUSTICS (3-0-0) 3
Acoustics waves, Reflection and Transmission, Radiation and reception of acoustic waves, Pipes, Resonators,
Mufflers and Filters, Architectural acoustics, Environmental acoustics, Transduction.
1. Michael Moser, Michael Maser, S. Zimmermann, Engineering Acoustics: An Introduction to Noise Control,
2nd Edition, Springer, 2009.
2. Frank J. Fahy, Foundations of Engineering Acoustics, Academic Press, 2000.
3. Michael Moeser, Michael Moser, Michael Maser, Engineering Acoustics: An Introduction to Noise Control,
ME419 ROTOR DYNAMICS (3-0-0) 3
Review of Continuous system, bearing forces, Critical speeds, Unbalance response and orbit analysis, Gyroscopic effect, Rotor balancing, Torsional vibration analysis, Analysis of rotating machines response to steady state and transient excitations, Rotor instability.
1. Rao, J S., Rotor Dynamics, 3rd Edition, New Age International, 2003.
2. Muszynka and Agnieszka, Rotor Dynamics, CRC Press, 2005.
3. Chen W J and Guntur E J, Introduction to Dynamics of Rotor-bearing Systems, McGraw Hill, 2005.