NIT Jamshedpur Electrical and Electronics Syllabus PART VI
BUILDING TECHNOLOGY (3-0-0)3
Buildings – Grouping and circulation – lighting and ventilation – Termite proofing of buildings – Lightning
protection of buildings – Fire protection of buildings – Vertical transportation – Prefabrication systems in
residential buildings: Modular Coordination – Earthquake resistant structures – Air-conditioning and heating
– Acoustics and Sound insulation – Plumbing services.
1. Varghese, Building Construction, PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd., 2008.
2. Punmia B. C., Jain A. J., and Jain A.J., Building, Construction, Laxmi Publications, 2005.
3. National Building Code of India, Bureau of Indian Standards, 2005.
ME440 ALTERNATIVE SOURCES OF ENERGY (3-0-0)3
Non-conventional sources of energy, solar energy, basic sun-earth relationships, coordinates of the sun,
solar radiation measurement and prediction, solar thermal devices, photovoltaic power, fuel cells, wind
energy, hydrogen energy, other forms of energy, nuclear, biomass, ocean and geothermal energy.
1. Sukhatme S.P. and J.K. Nayak, Solar Energy – Principles of Thermal Collection and Storage, Tata-
McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2008.
2. Khan B.H., Non-Conventional Energy Resources, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2006.
3. J.A. Duffie and W.A. Beckman, Solar Energy – Thermal Processes, John Wiley, 2001.
MM 440 MATERIALS FOR ENGINEERING APPLICATIONS (3-0-0)3
Classification of materials and properties, metallurgical aspects of materials, Significance of microstructural
features, effect of cooling and heating rates and ageing materials for mechanical load bearing applications,
corrosion resistant materials, materials for electrical, electronic, civil, biomedical applications.
1. M.F. Ashby: Engineering Materials, 4th Edition, Elsevier, 2005.
2. M.F. Ashby: Materials Selection in Mechanical Design, Butterworth Heinemann, 2005.
3. ASM Publication Vol.20: Materials Selection and Design, ASM, 1997
4. Pat L. Mangonon: The Principles of Materials Selection and Design, Prentice Hall International, Inc,
CH440 INDUSTRIAL POLLUTION CONTROL (3-0-0)3
Introduction – Air pollution- Meteorological aspects of air pollution – Air pollution sampling and measurement-
Air pollution control methods and equipment – Control of specific gaseous pollutants – Sources and
classification of water pollutants – sampling Waste water and analysis- Waste water treatment – Solid waste
management – Hazardous waste management.
1. Rao C.S., Environmental Pollution Control Engineering, Wiley Eastern Limited, India, 2006.
2. Noel de Nevers, Air Pollution and Control Engineering, McGraw Hill, 2010.
3. Glynn Henry J. and Gary W. Heinke, Environmental Science and Engineering, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall
of India, 2004.
CH441 FUEL CELL TECHNOLOGY (3-0-0)3
Overview of Fuel Cells, Fuels for Fuel Cells, Fuel Cell Process Design, Along the Electrode Models; Stack
Design and Systems Integration.
1. Gregor Hoogers, Fuel Cell Technology Hand Book, CRC Press, 2003.
2. Karl Kordesch and Gunter Simader, Fuel Cells and their Applications, VCH Publishers, NY, 2001.
B.Tech. Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
CS440 MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS (3-0-0)3
Organization and Information Systems, Changing Environment and its impact on Business, Kinds of
Information Systems, Computer Fundamentals, Telecommunication and Networks, System Analysis and
Development and Models, Manufacturing and Service Systems Information systems for Accounting, Finance,
Production and Manufacturing, Marketing and HRM functions, Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP), Choice
of IT, Nature of IT decision, Security and Ethical Challenges.
1. Kenneth J Laudon, Jane P.Laudon, Management Information Systems, 10th Edition, Pearson/PHI, 2007.
2. W. S. Jawadekar, Management Information Systems, 3rd Edition, TMH, 2004.
BT440 BIOSENSORS (3-0-0)3
Introduction to Biosensors, Advantages and limitations, various components of biosensors, Types of
Biosensors, Types of membranes used in biosensor constructions. Transducers in Biosensors: Various types
of transducers; principles and applications of Biosensors
1. Donald G. Buerk, Biosensors: Theory and Applications, 1st Edition, CRC Press, 2009.
2. Jon Cooper, Tony Cass, Biosensors: A Practical Approach, 2nd Edition, Oxford University Press, 2004.
3. Bilitewski, U. Turner, A.P.F., Biosensors for Environmental Monitoring, 1st Edition, Harwood, 2006.
SM440 HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT (3-0-0)3
Introduction, Job Analysis, Employee Involvement, and Flexible Work Schedules, Human resource Planning,
Recruitment and Careers, Employee Selection, Training and Development, Appraising and Improving
Performance, Managing Compensation, Industrial relations, Disputes, Grievances and Discipline, International
Human Resources Management.
1. Gary Dessler and Biju Varkkey, Human Resource Management, Pearson Edition, 2011.
2. Bohlander George W, Snell Scott A, Veena Vohra, Human Resource Management, Cengage Learning,
3. Aswathappa, Human Resource Management, TMH, 2011.
MA440 OPTIMIZATION TECHNIQUES (3-0-0)3
Formulation of a LPP – Graphical Method – Simplex method – duality – dual simplex method – sensitivity
analysis, transportation and assignment problems, traveling salesman problem – Lagrange multipliers and
Kuhn-Tucker conditions – quadratic programming problem – Dynamic Programming – Integer Linear
1. J.C.Pant, Introduction to Optimization, Jain Brothers, 2008.
2. S.S.Rao, Optimization Theory and Applications, Wiley Eastern, 2004.
3. K.V.Mittal, Optimization Methods, Wiley Eastern, 2003.
4. H.A.Taha, Operations Research, Pearson, 2007.
MA441 OPERATIONS RESEARCH (3-0-0)3
Formulation of a LPP – Graphical solution – Simplex method – revised simplex method – duality theory –
Transportation problems – Single server queuing models – deterministic inventory control models – stochastic
inventory control models.
1. Kanti Swarup, Man Mohan and P.K.Gupta, Introduction to Operations Research, S. Chand & Co., 2006.
2. J.C.Pant, Introduction to Operations Research, Jain Brothers, New Delhi, 2008.
3. N.S.Kambo : Mathematical Programming Techniques, East-West Pub., Delhi, 1991.
B.Tech. Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
PH440 NANO MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY (3-0-0)3
General properties of Nano materials- mechanical properties; Fullerenes and CNT’s -Synthesis, physical
properties; Investigation and manipulating materials in the Nanoscale – SAMs and clusters; Semi conducting
Quantum Dots – Nanobiology- Nanosensors – Nanomedicines.
1. T.Pradeep, Nano: The Essentials; TaTa McGraw-Hill, 2008.
2. W.R.Fahrner, Nanotechnology and Nanoelectronics; Springer, 2006.
3. B.S. Murthy et al., Textbook of Nano Science and Nanotechnology, Universities Press, 2012.
4. Rechard Booker and Earl Boysen, Nanotechnology; Willey, 2006.
PH441 BIOMATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY (3-0-0)3
Overview of biomaterials; Structure and properties of biomaterials – surface properties of solids; Types of
biomaterials – implant materials; Characterization of materials; Bio implantation materials – Materials in
ophthalmology; Tissue response to implants.
1. Joon park, R.S. Lakes, Biomaterials – An Introduction; 3rd Edition, Springer, 2007.
2. Sujatha V Bhat, Biomaterials; 2nd Edition, Narosa Publishing House, 2006.
CY440 CORROSION SCIENCE (3-0-0)3
Understanding Corrosion, types of corrosion, methods of corrosion monitoring, measurement of corrosion
steel in reinforced cement concrete, corrosion rates of metals due to microbially induced corrosion, methods
of corrosion prevention and control.
1. R. Winston Revie, Herbert H. Uhlig, Corrosion and Corrosion Control, 4th Edition, Wiley Interscience,
2. Mc Caffety, Edward, Introduction to Corrosion Science, 1st Edition, Springer, 2010.
CY441 CHEMISTRY OF NANOMATERIALS (3-0-0)3
Synthesis, characterization, properties and applications of the following Nanomaterials, Fullerenes, Carbon
nanotubes, Core-Shell Nanoparticles, Nanoshells, Self- assembled monolayers, and Monolayer Protected
Metal Nanoparticles, Nanocrystalline materials, Magnetic Nanoparticles and Important properties in relation
to nanomagnetic materials, Thermoelectric materials, Non-linear optical materials, liquid crystals.
1. T Pradeep, NANO: The Essentials, MaGraw-Hill Edu., 2007.
2. Sulabha K. Kulakarni, Nanotechnology (Principles, Properties and Applications), Capital Pub. House,
3. C. N. R. Rao, Nanomaterials Chemistry, Achim Muller, K.Cheetham, Wiley-VCH, 2007.
HS440 CORPORATE COMMUNICATION (3-0-0)3
Importance of Communication in the Corporate World; Oral Communication: a) Oral Fluency and
Communication Techniques, b) Seminar skills and Presentation skills; Listening Skills; Writing for Career
Purposes; Leadership Communication.
1. Priyadarshi Patnaik, Group Discussion and Interview Skills, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
2. R.C. Sharma and Krishna Mohan, Business Correspondence and Report Writing, 3rd Edition, Tata
3. Patrick Hanks and Jim Corbett, Business Listening Tasks, Cambridge University Press, 1986.