NIT Jamshedpur Electrical and Electronics Syllabus
NIT Jamshedpur Electrical and Electronics Syllabus PART V
METALLURGY FOR NON-METALLURGISTS (3-0-0)3
Structure of Metals and Alloys, Mechanical Properties and strengthening mechanisms, discovering metalsoverview
of metals, modern alloy production, fabrication and finishing of metal products, testing and inspection
of metals, quality, steel products and properties, cast irons, heat treatment, tool steels and high speed
steels, stainless steels, nonferrous metals, corrosion, durability of metals and alloys, the materials selection
1. M.F. Ashby: Engineering Materials, 4th Edition, Elsevier, 2005.
2. R Balasubramaniam (Adapted): Callister’s Materials Science and Engineering, 7th Edition, Wiley India
(P) Ltd, 2007.
3. Reza Abbaschian, Lara Abbaschian, R E Reed-Hill: Physical Metallurgy Principles, Affiliated East-West
4. V Raghavan: Elements of Materials Science and Engineering – A First Course, 5th Edition, PHI
Publications, 2006 .
CH390 NANOTECHNOLOGY AND APPLICATIONS (3-0-0)3
Introduction to nano sizes and properties, Quantum Mechanics, Chemical Kinetics at nanoscale,
Nanomaterials: Fabrication, Nanomaterials: Characterization, Applications in electronics, Applications in
chemical engineering, Nanobiology.
1. Stuart M. Lindsay, Introduction to Nanoscience, Oxford University Press, 2009.
2. Sulabha K. Kulkarni, Nanotechnology: Principles and Practices, Capital Publishing Company, 2007.
3. Robert Kelsall, Ian Hamley, Mark Geoghegan, Nanoscale Science and Technology, John Wiley & Sons,
CH391 INDUSTRIAL SAFETY AND HAZARDS (3-0-0)3
Introduction – Toxicology – Relative toxicity – Industrial hygiene – Source models – Toxic release and dispersion
models – Design basis – Pasquill – Gifford model – Fires and Explosions – The fire triangle – Sprays and Mists-
Designs to prevent fires and explosions – Introduction to reliefs – Relief systems – Relief sizing – Process
Hazards – Identification – Risk Assessment – Fault trees – Accident investigations – Layered investigations-
Investigation Summary – Case Studies – System designs.
1. D. A. Crowl and J.F. Louvar, Chemical Process Safety (Fundamentals with Applications), Prentice Hall,
2. R.K. Sinnott, Coulson and Richardson’s Chemical Engineering, Vol. 6, Elsevier India, 2006.
CS390 OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING (3-0-0)3
Object Oriented Thinking – Messages and Methods – OO Design – Software Components – Design Paradigms
– Inheritance – Mechanisms for software reuse – Polymorphism – AWT Class – Input output Streams – Design
Patterns – Exception handling.
B.Tech. Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
1. Timothy Budd, Understanding Object Oriented Programming with Java, Pearson Education, 1999.
2. Herbert Schildt, Java 2 Complete Reference, 5th Edition, TMH, 2010.
BT390 GREEN TECHNOLOGY (3-0-0)3
Biomass energy, sources, uses, science and engineering aspects of Biomass energy, biomass electricity,
production, storage and uses of biomass fuels. Market Barriers of Biomass fuels, Biomass fuel Standardization.
Biomass fuel Life Cycle, Sustainability of Biomass fuels, Economics of Biomass fuels, Consideration of Co-
1. Ayhan Demirbas, Green Energy and Technology, Biofuels, Securing the Planet’s Future Energy Needs,
1st Edition, Springer, 2009.
2. Jay Cheng, Biomass to Renewable Energy Processes, 1st Edition, CRC Press; 2009.
3. Samir K. Khanal, Rao Y. Surampalli, Tian C. Zhang, Buddhi P. Lamsal, R. D. Tyagi, C. M. Kao, Bioenergy
and Biofuel from Biowastes and Biomass, 1st Edition, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2010.
SM 390 MARKETING MANAGEMENT (3-0-0)3
Nature and Scope of Marketing; Major Market oriented strategic planning. Corporate Mission and Vision.
Concepts of strategic business units. BCG matrix and GE model; SWOT Analysis. Analyzing needs and
trends in Macro environment. Marketing Information systems. Consumer Behavior and STP concept. New
Product development process, product Life cycle, product and Branding Strategy, products mix and line
decisions Brand decisions – Building brand.Pricing – Strategies and programmes, Marketing Channels –
Distribution channels, Channel Design and Management decisions. Retailing Wholesaling and Logistics,
Electronic Channels. Marketing promotion.
1. Philip Kottler, Marketing Management, PHI, 2011.
2. William Stanton and Etzel, Marketing Management, TMH, 2010.
3. Ramaswami and Namakumari, Marketing Management, McMillan Publication, 2010.
MA390 NUMERICAL SOLUTION OF DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS (3-0-0)3
Multistep methods – Linear and nonlinear BVP, Shooting methods – Finite difference methods for BVP –
Classification of partial differential equations – Finite difference methods for Parabolic equations, Hyperbolic
Equations, Laplace equation, Poisson equation.
1. M.K. Jain, Numerical Solution of Differential Equations, Wiley Eastern, 1984.
2. G.D. Smith, Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations, Oxford Univ. Press, 2004.
3. M.K. Jain, S.R.K. Iyengar and R.K.Jain, Computational Methods for Partial Differential Equations, Wiley
MA391 FUZZY MATHEMATICS AND APPLICATIONS (3-0-0)3
Crisp set theory – Fuzzy set theory – Propositional Logic – Predicate Logic – Fuzzy Relations – Fuzzy Logic
– Switching functions and Switching circuits – Applications of fuzzy mathematics.
1. M. Ganesh, Introduction to Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic, PHI, 2001.
2. G.J. Klir and B.Yuan, Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic-Theory and Applications, PHI, 1997.
3. T.J. Ross, Fuzzy Logic with Engineering Applications, McGraw-Hill, 1995.
B.Tech. Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
PH390 MEDICAL INSTRUMENTATION (3-0-0)3
Human body – an overview – Cell – Body fluids. Origin of bio potentials – Electrical activity of Excitable cells.
Electrocardio graph: heart and the circulatory system. Bio fluid mechanics – Pressures in the body. Blood
pressure: direct measurement of blood pressure H2O manometers. Blood flow volume and oxygenation
measurement: Blood flow dilution methods.
1. Brown, B.H. et. al, Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, Institute of Physics Publishing, 1999.
2. John. G. Webster, Medical Instrumentation: Application and Design, 2nd Edition, John Wiley and Sons,
New York, 1995.
PH391 ADVANCED MATERIALS (3-0-0)3
Nano Materials – Nano biology; Biomaterials – ceramics, dental materials; Composites; Optical materials –
solar cells, CCDs, lasers; Super conducting materials – SQUIDS; Smart materials; SAW Materials and
1. T. Pradeep, Nano: The Essentials; Tata McGraw-Hill, 2008.
2. B.S. Murthy et al., Textbook of Nano Science and Nanotechnology, Universities Press, 2012.
CY390 INSTRUMENTAL METHODS IN CHEMICAL ANALYSIS (3-0-0)3
UV-visible spectrometry, Fluorescence, Atomic spectroscopy, Atomic absorption, X-ray fluorescence methods,
Separation techniques, chromatographic techniques, High performance liquid chromatography, Size, exclusion
chromatography, Capillary electrophoresis, Thermo gravimetric analysis, Differential thermal analysis, DSC,
Electroanalytical methods, Molecular absorption spectroscopy, Mass spectrometry.
1. Mendham, Denny, Barnesand Thomas, Vogel: Text book of Quantitative Chemical Analysis, 6th Edition,
Pearson Education, 2007.
2. Donald L. Pavia, Gary M Lanyman, Introduction to Spectroscopy, 3rd Edition, Thompson Publishers,
3. Krishan K Chawla, Composite Materials; 2nd Edition, Springer 2006.
CY391 CHEMICAL ASPECTS OF ENERGY SYSTEMS (3-0-0)3
Energy as the Key of Civilisation; Thermochemistry of Energy Sources and Kinteics of Energy Tapping;
Conventional and Finite Energy Sources; Coal Based Energy Sources and Coal Carbonisation; Petroleum
and Natural Gas; Biomass and Gobar Gas; Primary and Secondary Batteries, Reserve Batteries, Solid
State and Molten Solvent Batteries, Lithium Ion Batteries, Solar Energy Harnessing, Photogalvanic and
Photovoltaic Energy Storage; Fuel Cells; Hydrogen as Future Fuel; Photochemical Water Cleavage; Green
1. Tokio Ohta, Energy Systems, Elsevier Science, 2000.
2. R. Narayan and B. Viswanathan, Chemical and Electrochemical Energy Systems, Universities Press,
HS390 SOFT SKILLS (3-0-0)3
Soft Skills – definition – scope and importance – workplace communication, process and barriers – Interpersonal
and Intra-personal communication skills – team building – emotional intelligence- developing self-esteemtime
and stress management – group discussions, interviews, and presentation skills – résumé-writing –
campus to company – dressing and grooming – Entrepreneurial Skills Development – Project.
1. Robert M. Sheffield, Montgomery and Moody, Developing Soft Skills, 4th Edition, Pearson, 2009.
2. K. Alex, Soft Skills: Know Yourself and Know the World, S. Chand, 2009.
3. Gopalaswamy Ramesh, Mahadevan Ramesh, The Ace of Soft Skills: Attitude, Communication and
Etiquette for Success, Pearson, 2010.