NIT Jamshedpur Electrical and Electronics Syllabus PART II
MATHEMATICS – III (4-0-0)4
Fourier Series – Fourier Transforms – Complex form of Fourier series – sine and cosine transformations
– Z-transforms – Difference equations – Wave equation, Heat equation, Laplace’s equation, 2D steady
state heat flow equation – Analytic function – complex integration – Taylor’s and Laurent’s series expansions
– evaluation of real integrals using residue theorem, Bilinear transformations, conformal mapping.
1. R.K.Jain and S.R.K.Iyengar, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Narosa Pub. House, 2008.
2. Erwyn Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, John Wiley and Sons, 8th Edition, 2008.
3. B.S.Grewal, Higher Engineering Mathematics, Khanna Publications, 2009.
EC235 ANALOG ELECTRONICS (3-1-0)4
Review of BJT operation and Biasing, Transistor hybrid model,GBW,High frequency response of two cascaded
CE transistor stages, Classification of amplifiers, Feedback topologies, Analyses of RC phase Shift, Wein
Bridge, LC oscillators (using BJT) and crystal oscillator, differential amplifier configurations, frequency
response of OP AMP, AC amplifiers, astable and monostablemultivibrators, logarithmic amplifiers and
instrumentation amplifier. IC555 Timer, Voltage Regulator ICs.
1. Ramakanth A. Gayakwad: Operational Amplifiers and Linear integrated circuits, 4th Edition, PHI,2000.
2. Stanley: Operational Amplifiers with Linear Integrated Circuits, 4th Edition, Pearson Education, India,2002.
CS235 DATA STRUCTURES (3-0-0)3
Ordered Lists – Stacks, Queues – Trees – Search Trees – BST, AVL – Hashing – Hash Tables – Priority Queues
– Sorting Techniques – Graph Algorithms – Shortest Paths – Spanning Trees
1. Mark Allen Weiss, Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C++, 3rd Edition, Pearson, 2007.
2. Clifford A.Shaffer, Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C++, 3rd Edition, Dover Publications, 2011.
EE201 ELECTRICAL MEASUREMENTS AND INSTRUMENTATION (4-0-0)4
Introduction – Linearity, Resolution, Sensitivity, Selectivity, Repeatability, Dead time, Dead zone, Damping
mechanisms, Absolute and Secondary Instruments, Analog Meters, Analog Wattmeter’s and P.F. Meters,
Energy Meters – 1-Ø & 3-Ø analog and digital Energy meters, DC and AC Bridges, Instrument Transformer
– CT and PT, testing and applications, Transducers – Measurement of temperate- RTD and Thermistors,
Thermocouple, LVDT, Strain gauge, Electronic Measurements.
1. J. B. Gupta: A Course in Electrical and Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation, 13th Edition, S.K
Kataria & Sons, 2009.
2. U.A.Bakshi, A.V.Bakshi – Electrical Measurements And Instrumen-tation, Technical Publications, 2009.
3. A. K. Sawhaney: A Course in Electrical Measurements Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation,
11th Edition, Dhanpat Rai and Sons,1996.
EE202 CIRCUIT THEORY – I (3-0-0)3
Circuit Elements & Relations, Dot convention and formation of loop and node equations,Graphs,Bus incidence
Matrix, Dual networks, Time Domain Analysis, classical differential equations approach, Applications of
L.T’s in ckt. Theory, Laplace transformed N/W’s, Steady State Analysis of Ckt’s for Sinusoidal Excitations-1-
Ø Series, Parallel, Series – Parallel circuits, 3-Ø balanced and unbalanced-N/W analysis, Resonance –
Series and Parallel resonance – Selectivity – B.W- Q factors.
B.Tech. Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
1. M.E. Van Valken Burg: Network Analysis, 3rd Edition, Pearson Education, 2006.
2. G.K. Mithal and Ravi Mittal: Network Analysis,14th Edition, Khanna Publications, 2003.
EE203 ELECTRIC AND MAGNETIC FIELDS (3-1-0)4
Electrostatics – Coulomb’s law, electric field intensity, Gauss law, Poisson’s and Laplace equations, uniqueness
theorem,dielectrics,Biot-Savart’s law, Ampere’s Law, magnetic potential, magnetic dipole, inductance,
conductors, magnetic materials, Hall effect, Time Varying Fields – Equation of continuity, Faraday’s law,
Lenz’s law, transformer emf and motional emf, inconsistency of Ampere’s law, displacement current, Maxwell’s
equations, Poynting theorem, energy in EMF’s.
1. William H.Hayt Jr. and John A. Buck – Engineering Electromagnetics, 8th Edition, TMH, 2011.
2. K. K. Shah – Introduction to Electromagnetic’s – Dhanpat Rai, 2006.
EC236 ANALOG ELECTRONICS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Characteristics of Semiconductor devices: – Transistor biasing-Regulator-Amplifier-Oscillator-OP AMPClippers
and clampers-Rectifiers and filters-multivibrators.
CS236 DATA STRUCTURES LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Implementation of ordered lists – Stacks — Queues – conversion of expressions, evaluation, expression
trees – Search Trees – BST – AVL Trees – Sorting algorithms – Graph traversals – Shortest paths – Spanning
MA251 MATHEMATICS – IV (4-0-0)4
Probability laws – Baye’s theorem – Discrete and continuous distributions – Testing of Hypothesis for large
and small samples – Chi-square test for goodness of fit – Correlation, regression – Curve fitting – Gauss
Seidal iteration method – interpolation – Numerical differentiation and integration – numerical solution of first
order ordinary differential equations – Series Solution – Bessel and Legendre functions.
1. S.C.Gupta and V.K.Kapoor, Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics, S.Chand & Co, 2006.
2. Jain, Iyengar and Jain, Numerical Methods for Scientific and Engineering Computation, New Age
International Publications, 2008.
3. Erwyn Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, John Wiley and Sons, 8th Edition, 2008.
4. B.S.Grewal, Higher Engineering Mathematics, Khanna Publications, 2009.
EC285 DIGITAL ELECTRONICS (3-1-0)4
Number system and codes, Switching algebra and switching functions, Boolean algebra, postulates, theorems
and switching algebra, minimization of Boolean functions, Logic Families, Various logic gate ICs, Combinational
Logic, multiplexers, de-multiplexers, encoders, decoders, buffers, tristate buffers, Sequential-Logic, Review
of Flip-Flops, Finite-State model of sequential Circuits, modulus counter, shift registers, Semiconductor
Memories, Data Conversion Circuits.
1. Anil K.Mani: Digital Electronics-Principles and Integrated Circuits, Wiley-India, 2007.
2. Herbert Taub, Schilling: Digital Integrated Electronics, TMH, 2008.
EE251 CIRCUIT THEORY – II (3-1-0)4
Network Theorems and Applications- Superposition, Thevenin’s, Norton’s ,Substitution and Compensation,
Reciprocity, Millman’s, Maximum power transfer, Tellegen’s theorem, and their application in analysis of N/
W’s, N/W Functions and 2-Port N/W’s – Natural frequencies of a N/W, poles and zeros, Fourier Transforms
and Fourier Series – Review of Fourier series and evaluation of Fourier coefficients , Amplitude and phase
spectrums, Passive Filters and Attenuators – Classification and General relations in filters.
B.Tech. Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
1. M.F. Van Valkenberg : Network Analysis, 3rd Edition, PHI Pub, 2002.
2. N.C. Jagan, C. Lakshminarayana: Network Theory, BS Pub. 2003.
3. De Carlo and Lin: Linear Circuit Analysis, 2nd Edition, Oxford University Press, 2010.
4. Nassir H.Sabah: Electric Circuits and Signals, 4th Edition, CRC Press, 2008.
EE252 ELECTRICAL MACHINES – I (3-1-0)4
D.C.Machines -Windings, characteristics of shunt, series, compound machines, Armature reaction,
commutation process, speed control methods of shunt and series motors, testing of machines, applications,
principle of operation and applications of Amplidyne and metadyne generators,1-Ø transformers,sumpner’s
test, parallel operation, auto transformers,3-Ø transformers – Scott connection of transformers for phase
conversion, on -load and off-load tap changers, induction regulators.
1. P. S Bimbhra, Electrical Machinery, 7th Edition, Khanna Publishers, 2008.
2. A.E Fitzgerald, Charles Kingsley, Stephen D Umans: Electrical Machinery, 6th Edition, TMH Publishers,
EE253 POWER SYSTEMS – I (4-0-0)4
Introduction – Typical Layout of an Electrical Power System – Present Power Scenario in India, Generation of
Electric Power – Conventional Sources (Qualitative),Non Conventional Sources (Qualitative), Economics
Of Generation, A.C.Distribution, bus bar arrangement, Overhead Line Insulators, Insulated Cables, grading
of cables, overhead lines versus underground cables, L and C Calculations of Transmission Lines, composite
conductors transposition, bundled conductors, Corona.
1. C.L. Wadhwa, Generation, Distribution and Utilization of Electrical Energy, New Age International, 2002.
2. C.L. Wadhwa, Electrical Power Systems, 33rd Edition, New Age International, 2004.
EC286 IC APPLICATIONS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Study of apparatus- Measurement of Op.amp parameters- Op.amp monostable and astable multivibrators.-
555 timer:- Characteristics of TTL NAND gate:- Study of flip-flops:- Mod-N counter using 7490 and 74190-
Mod-N counter using 7492 and 74192-. MUX and Decoder ICs(IC 74153&IC 74138).- Shift register IC7495.
EE254 ELECTRICAL MEASUREMENTS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Determination of Hysteresis loss and Hysteresis curve ,Study of C.R.O. Kelvin’s double bridge, Maxwell’s
inductance-capacitance bridge, Maxwell’s inductance bridge, Anderson’s bridge, Schering’s bridge, ratio
error and phase error of a P.T., ratio error and phase error of a C.T., characteristics of a given
RTD,characteristics of a given Thermistor, characteristics of a given Pressure transducer, characteristics of
a given Weight transducer.
EE301 CONTROL SYSTEMS (3-1-0)4
Introduction- feedback and its effects-linearization Mathematical Modelling of Physical Systems- Block diagram
Concept and use of Transfer function. Signal Flow Graphs Mason’s gain formula. Time Domain Analysis of
Control Systems-, BIBO and absolute stability, Routh-Hurwitz Criterion. P, PI and PID controllers, State
Variable Analysis of Linear Dynamic Systems- controllability and observability Root Locus Techniques- zero
and pole. Frequency Domain Analysis of Control Systems- polar plots, Nyquist stability criterion, Bode
plots, application M&N circles, Nichols charts Design of Compensators.
1. B.C. Kuo, Automatic Control Systems, 7th Edition, Prentice Hall of India, 2009.
2. I.J. Nagarath and M.Gopal: Control Systems Engineering, 2nd Edition, New Age Pub. Co. 2008.