NIT Jamshedpur EC Syllabus PART III
LINEAR IC APPLICATIONS (4-0-0)4
Operational Amplifiers, Linear Applications of OP. Amps, Non Linear Applications OP Amps, Design
considerations and applications of 555 Timer IC, 566 VCO IC and 8038 function generator IC, Design
considerations and applications of 723 voltage regulator IC, three terminal and Switching regulator ICs,
Phase locked loop IC and its typical applications, Active filters, Analogue Multipliers and modulator circuits,
1. G.B. Clayton, Operational Amplifiers, 5th Edition, Newnes, 2003.
2. Jerald Graeme, Applications of Operational Amplifiers, McGraw Hill, 1973.
EC304 ANTENNAS AND WAVE PROPAGATION (3-0-0)3
Radiation, Antenna theorems, Two element array, linear array, multiplication of patterns, effect of earth on
vertical patterns, mutual impedance effects, Binomial arrays, Travelling wave radiators, Rhombic antennas,
V.H.F. and U.H.F. antennas, Special Antennas, Antenna Measurements, Propagation of Radio waves.
1. E.C. Jordan and K.G. Balmain, Electromagnetic Waves and Radiating Systems, 2nd Edition, PHI, 2007.
2. J.D. Kraus, R.J. Marhefka and Ahmad S Khan, Antennas and Wave Propagation, 4th Edition, McGraw
3. A. R Harish and M. Sachidananda, Antennas and Wave Propagation, Oxford University Press, KRAUS,
Antennas – McGraw Hill, 2011.
EC305 COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE AND ORGANISATION (3-0-0)3
Architecture and organization, CPU design, Instruction set design methodologies and Performance Metrics,
Control unit design using microprogramming, Assembly language programming, Design of ALU and floating
point processor, Memory and memory organization, m-level Memory hierarchy, Virtual Memory, Peripherals
and Interfaces, input/output data transfer methods, Multiprocessor Architectures
1. William Stallings, Computer Organization and Architecture, 8th Edition, Prentice-Hall India, 2010.
2. David A Patterson and John L. Hennesey, Computer Organization and Design, 4th Edition, Elsevier
3. Andrew S Tanenbaum and James R Goodman, Structured Computer Organization, 5th Edition Prentice
Hall India, 2009.
EC306 PULSE CIRCUITS LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
RC circuits, Clippers, Clampers, Bistable, Monostable and Astable multivibrators, Schmitt trigger, Bootstrap
sweep circuits, Characteristics of UJT.
EC307 IC APPLICATIONS LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
OP Amp parameters and its applications, OP Amp multivibrators – Astable, Monostable multivibrators, RC
Active filters, 555 Timer IC applications, 565 PLL IC applications, 723 Voltage regulator IC applications, 566
and 8038 ICs applications, NAND gate characteristics, Adders, Subtractors, Code converters using gate
ICs, 74138 Decoder IC, 746153 MUX IC, 7483&86 4 bit binary addition/subtraction, 7474, 7476 FFICs,
7490,92,190,193 counters, 7495, 7498, 74195, 74198 shift registers.
B.Tech. Electronics and Communication Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
SM335 ENGINEERING ECONOMICS AND ACCOUNTANCY (3-0-0)3
Basic concepts of national income, inflation, economic policies, financial accounting, preparation of cost
sheet, concepts of financial management and smart investment.
1. Henry M.S., Engineering Economics Principles, McGraw Hill Publishers, 2011.
2. Jain and Narang, Accounting, Kalyani Publishers, 2011.
EC351 DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS (3-0-0)3
Basic signal processing operations in Digital communications, Detection of known signals in noise, Correlation
receiver, Matched filter receiver, Estimation, Discrete PAM signals, Nyquist criterion for zero ISI, Adaptive
equalizers, Baseband M-ary PAM, Digital modulation formats, M-ary modulation techniques, Linear block
Codes, Cyclic Codes, Convolutional Codes and Trellis Codes.
1. S.Haykin, Digital Communications, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
2. B.Sklar, Digital Communications, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education, New Delhi, 2009.
3. John G.Proakis, Digital Communications, 3rd Edition, McGraw Hill, 1995.
EC352 DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING (3-0-0) 3
Discrete Fourier transforms (DFT), digital filter structures, design of digital filters, analysis of finite word
length effects, multirate DSP, DSP processors.
1. John G. Proakis, Dimitris G. Manolakis, Digital Signal Processing, Principles, Algorithms, and Applications,
4th Edition, PHI, 2007.
2. Sanjit K Mitra, Digital Signal Processing: A Computer-Based Approach, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill.
EC353 MICROPROCESSORS AND MICROCONTROLLERS (4-0-0)4
Introduction to 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit microprocessors, 80X86 Architecture and programming concepts,
Assembler directives, System hardware, Memory Interfacing, Peripheral Devices, Intel 8051 microcontroller,
Interfacing with keyboards, LEDs, 7 segment displays, LCDs, Interfacing with ADCs and DACs, and stepper
1. Douglas V.Hall, Microprocessor and Interfacing, 2nd Edition, TMH, 2006
2. Muhammed Ali Mazidi, Janice Gillispie Mazidi, Rolin D Mc Kinlay, The 8051 Microcontroller and Embedded
Systems Using Assembly and C, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education, 2008.
3. Barry B.Brey, Intel Micro Processors-(8086 to Pentium), 8th Edition, Pearson Education, 2008.
EC354 COMPUTER NETWORKS (3-0-2) 4
Introduction to Networks, Direct Link Networks, Local Area Networks, Packet Switching, Internetworking,
The Internet Protocol (IPv6), End-to-End Protocols, Domain Naming and Hierarchies, Control Networks,
Network Security, Applications.
1. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks, 4th Edition, Prentice-Hall India, 2010.
2. Behrouz A Forouzan, Data Communications and Networking, 4th Edition, McGraw-Hill. 2004.
3. William Stallings, Data and Computer Communications, 8th Edition, PHI, 2007.
EC355 COMMUNICATION SYSTEM LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Amplitude modulation, Frequency modulation generation and detection, AM and FM transmitter and receiver,
FDM, Analog Signal Sampling and Reconstruction, TDM, PCM, DM/ADM, PWM/PAM/PPM-Generation and
detection, Data Conditioning and Reconditioning, QPSK/DQ, PSK generation and detection, CRC encoder
and decoder, Simulation of Communications.
B.Tech. Electronics and Communication Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
EC356 MICROPROCESSORS AND MICROCONTROLLERS LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
Assembly language program on addition, multiplication, sorting, block move, Ram test, Rom test, Factorial of
Assembly language program to interface Hex Keypad Module, SSD module, ADC/DAC, real time clock, DC
motor, Traffic light, Temperature transducer, LCD, Elevator, stepper motor, Dual DAC.
EC401 ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION (3-0-0) 3
Static and dynamic characteristics of instruments, Different analyzers, Analog and Digital Multimeters, Digital
frequency meter, Impedance Measurement instruments, Noise and Interference reduction techniques in
measurement systems, study of different types of oscilloscope, Transducers, Introduction to Data Acquisition
1. Oliver and Cage, Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation, 2nd Edition, McGraw Hill, 2010.
2. W.D.Cooper and Felbrick, Electronic Instrumentation and Measurements Techniques, 2nd Edition, PHI,
3. H S Kalsi, Electronic Instrumentation, 3rd Edition, McGraw Hill. 2011.
EC402 MICROWAVE ENGINEERING (3-0-0) 3
Introduction to and applications of microwaves, Microwave Tubes, Travelling Wave tube amplifier, backward
wave oscillator, Cavity magnetron and crossed field amplifier, Microwave solid state devices, Introduction to
MMICs, Microwave components, Microwave circuits, Scattering matrix and its properties, Power measurement,
VSWR and impedance measurement, Reflectometers.
1. S.Y. Liao – Microwave Devices and Circuits, 4th Edition, Prentice Hall of India, 2002
2. G.P. Srivastava and V.L. Gupta, Microwave Devices and Circuit Design, 1st Edition PHI, 2009.
3. R.E.Collin – Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 2nd Edition, McGraw Hill, 2011.
EC403 ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION AND DSP LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Measurement of angular displacement, speed, weight, temperature using various transducers, Study of DMM,
digital storage oscilloscope, Generation of various waveforms using arbitrary waveform generator, experiments
based on course EC352 using C, MATLAB and DSP kits.
EC451 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATION (3-0-0) 3
Overview of Optical Communications, Optical Fibers, Signal Degradation, International standards, Review of
Optical Sources, Review of Photo detectors, structures for InGaAs APDs, Temperature effect on avalanche
gain, Optical receiver, Introduction to optical amplifiers (EDFA), Overview of WDM, Passive optical couplers,
Isolators and Circulators.
1. G.Keiser, Optical Fiber Communications, TMH, 4th Edition, 2008.
2. J. Gowar, Optical Communication Systems, PHI, 2nd Edition, 1993.
EC452 MICROWAVE AND OPTICAL COMMUNICATION LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Mode characteristics of Reflex klystron oscillator, Gunn oscillator characteristics, impedance measurement,
antenna pattern measurement, measurement of scattering parameters of reciprocal and non-reciprocal
microwave components measurement of numerical aperture, length of the fiber, eye pattern, bit error rate,
study of network analyzer.